• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreement to repair damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vhinrich

You do NOT need to be fingerprinted to have a document notarized.
The notary said that the law went into effect since January 2009 that everyone involved needed to be fingerprinted.

I don't understand that. I got a document notarized in May 2009 at a bank and I wasn't fingerprinted. Maybe you need to be fingerprinted if two parties are involved.

ecmst12

Or maybe the notary you talked to was an idiot. I told you, you should have given him the release, and told him to get it notarized at give it back to you, at which time you would give him the money. You chose not to do that. You took a risk.

vhinrich

You're all stressed out. You should of agreed on the $180.00 & moved on. Keep in mind this accident was your fault & you're lucky he didnt report it to his insurance company. Im amazed at how much body shops charge even for min scratches. When i was in a accident last yr a cop & the tow truck driver said the damage was around $1,500.00. They were $1,000.00 short. People that cause accidents cause more then just propery damage. Just pay the guy the $350.00, have him sign your paperwork & move on. It could be worse. You really should be thankful to him. Keep in mind you're the one who turned down the first offer of $!80.00. Live and learn. Good-luck.

Well, I closed the matter at $200. A little more than $180 but in the long run, it'll be worth it. The guy started bitchin' about how he had to take days off work to get the estimate and how it'll take a body shop one day to get the car fixed so he needed a rental car. It takes about 15 mins for a mechanic to look at the headlight and determine whether it can be fixed or replaced, you don't need a whole damn day to get an estimate. Plus I'm sure it only takes about hour, two hours at max, to replace the headlight.

But I didn't want to stoop down to their level and call 'em out on their lies, it would've only made the matter worse so I just settled at $200 and had them sign the agreement. Hopefully, that's the end of story.

vhinrich

Or maybe the notary you talked to was an idiot. I told you, you should have given him the release, and told him to get it notarized at give it back to you, at which time you would give him the money. You chose not to do that. You took a risk.
I would've but he wouldn't have done it. He started to moan and bitch when I asked him to get a second estimate, what makes you think he would've went out of his way to get this notarized, especially when it's going to cost him money (even if it's minimal $1 fee, I told you he was a sleazebag)? It would've been easier for him to just file a claim, get a check and spend that money than doing all this.

You were right earlier when you said that he was doing me a favor by not filing a claim. So I thought, if I got his signature, a couple of witnesses, how is this document not going to hold up in court? After all, he signed the document in front of the two witnesses...

vhinrich

Maybe, maybe not. It's a risk.
Well I got proof of payments and everything so it's highly unlikely they'll take me to court.

They can't sue me for bodily injury because I was backing out at about 3-5 mph which I would assume isn't high enough speed to cause any injury, realistically speaking.

If they file a claim, I got the agreement and proof of payment in my hands. I can always turn the tables on them and try to get them for insurance fraud in case they do file a claim.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They can't sue me for bodily injury because I was backing out at about 3-5 mph which I would assume isn't high enough speed to cause any injury, realistically speaking.
WRONG - you CAN have bodily injury in such a collision. However, with a properly drafted release, you won't have to worry.

Did you say there were passengers in his vehicle though? Did you get releases from them?

vhinrich

WRONG - you CAN have bodily injury in such a collision. However, with a properly drafted release, you won't have to worry.

Did you say there were passengers in his vehicle though? Did you get releases from them?
No, there weren't any passengers in either cars so I didn't have to worry about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">