• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Air bag didn't deploy in collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ShoreChick

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

On 12/26/04 I was involved in an accident. Originally I thought I skidded on some ice, but it is possible I was tapped from behind, which sent me across the road. Three cars were ultimately involved, and 3 of us were transported vis ambulance to the hospital.

Anyway, my Ranger substained major fron end damage, in addition to rear and drive side damage. One car had minor front end, the third smacked on the driver side. My air bag didn't deploy. The air bag on the 3rd car did. I was wearing my seatbelt, with the bruises to prove it.

I don't have the official insurance report yet, but friends and family who
have seen the truck all agree my air bag should have deployed. And some of my injuries are from hitting the steering wheel.

How do I go about finding out if the air bag should have deployed & why it didn't? Do I have a issue against Ford if it should have?

Thanks

teflon_jones

Air bags don't always deploy in a collision that causes serious front-end damage. Are any of the people that gave their opinion to you that it should have deployed accident invesitgators or experts in the vehicle you were driving? It's very difficult to prove that an airbag should have deployed, especially when the vehicle is severely damaged in an accident. And if you read your owner's manual, it will most likely have a disclaimer in it that airbags don't always deploy, even in a serious collsion, and that you should always wear your safety belt. There are an infinite number of variables in auto accidents and it's impossible for auto manufacturers to guarantee when they go off and when they won't.

That being said, why does it matter if your airbag did or didn't deploy? It sounds like you're pretty much ok except for some bruises. So why do you want to pursue this?

If you do have a good reason for pursuing this, then you should do three things:
1) Go to your local dealer and find out if there are any known issues with the airbags on your make and model vehicle, including recalls.
2) Do an internet search for any known issues.
3) Have an accident investigator, or someone otherwise experienced in assessing vehicle collisions, take a look at your car and give their expert opinion on whether the airbag sensors malfuntioned in some way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">