• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to depreciation cost??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

andrewj30

I was at fault in an accident, I have been told that I am entitled to depreciation cost for my vehicle.How does this wrok? My insurance company has been no help!! The damage totaled 21,000 on my vehicle and I no longer want the car after it is repaired.I have been to car dealers and they say the value of my car has dropped at least 10,000 because it was wrecked.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You are only entitled to:

1. Repair costs to bring the vehicle back up to factory specifications; or,

2. If totaled, the "fair market value" of the vehicle, minus collision deductible, on the date of loss.

If the accident had not been your fault, you would have been entitled to a claim for "depreciation of value" from the other person's insurance company. This does not apply, per your own insurance contract however, since the accident was your fault, and you claimed the damages through your own insurance company.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">