• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klupammo

What is the name of your state? North Dakota

After a day of snowmobiling I was traveling home on a winding road. I was driving my truck with a trailer loaded with snowmobiles. Due to icy patches and snow I was going below the speed limit. I was going around a corner and noticed the truck was sliding toward the edge of the road. I was able to keep it on the road, however, right around the (blind) corner somebody else was not so fortunate. They had gone off the road and gotten stuck. They had managed to get their trailer back up on the road (in the driving lane) not on the side of the road and their truck was on the other side of the road about 40 yards down the road. The road in this area was pure ice about a half inch thick. I tried to miss his trailer but the ice prevented any directional control. This stretch of road was open to cross wind, I think that is why only this area was slate ice. Am I at fault because I was driving to fast for conditions? I was going about 10 to 15 MPH the speed limit was 45 MPH. OR was he at fault because he put his trailer in the road and left it. By the way, we were almost hit three additional times by oncoming vehicles, but they either went off the road or were flagged down prior to the corner. What do you think?

HomeGuru

klupammo said:
What is the name of your state? North Dakota

After a day of snowmobiling I was traveling home on a winding road. I was driving my truck with a trailer loaded with snowmobiles. Due to icy patches and snow I was going below the speed limit. I was going around a corner and noticed the truck was sliding toward the edge of the road. I was able to keep it on the road, however, right around the (blind) corner somebody else was not so fortunate. They had gone off the road and gotten stuck. They had managed to get their trailer back up on the road (in the driving lane) not on the side of the road and their truck was on the other side of the road about 40 yards down the road. The road in this area was pure ice about a half inch thick. I tried to miss his trailer but the ice prevented any directional control. This stretch of road was open to cross wind, I think that is why only this area was slate ice. Am I at fault because I was driving to fast for conditions? I was going about 10 to 15 MPH the speed limit was 45 MPH. OR was he at fault because he put his trailer in the road and left it. By the way, we were almost hit three additional times by oncoming vehicles, but they either went off the road or were flagged down prior to the corner. What do you think?
**A: both are at fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">