• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I at fault with the other driver parked illegally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

berdeniafaye

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif.
I drive an SUV Jeep Cherokee which sits high up. I parked at 10:00 at night, in the last metered parking spot, on a major blvd. there was a red curb zone in back of me. A man parked behind me, so close as to squeeze in as not to hang out into the intersection. He was unloading his car , which was very low to the ground. With him parking so close to me, when I looked out of the rear view mirror, as well as the back window, I saw no one. And of course it was dark. I backed up into his car, with my Jeep going partially over his hood, & my tailpipe going into his car making a half moon image. There was no damage to my Jeep. Am I completely at fault if he was parked illegally in a red zone, and within 2 feet from me??
I appreciate feedback on this situation. Berdenia Broes

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since you have received the legally accurate answer, I will suggest that you invest in some sort of rear-view camera system to allow you to see behind your vehicle.
Next time, it could be a kid playing...

VeronicaLodge

and i'll add, first, didnt you see it before you got in your car?

and how fast did you slam on the gas? when I'm parked and start to back up, if something was that close, i would have "bumped" it and stopped before any major damage such as partially rolling over his hood and piercing his car?! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">