• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I at fault (possible accident while parking)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wardnine

Virginia

Earlier tonight I was in Arlington (Clarendon) trying to find parking on a side street (N. Garfield Rd.) and I pull up very, very close behind a Range Rover. I honestly don't recall hitting or bumping said Range Rover and certainly didn't feel any kind of bump as I inched closer to the Range Rover (I did have to inch real close to the Rover to fit in the space). I leave my car and come back 3 hours later. The Range Rover was no longer there but there's a note on my car saying that I hit the Range Rover as I was parking and that there are 4 photos of damage proving I hit the car. I found out by asking people in the immediate area that the person whose Range Rover it was lived right across the street from where I had parked (they weren't home so I didn't contact them). I also contacted police immediatedly after I found the note but they said this would be a civil matter and that I should contact the owner of the car who got "hit". I have already left messages on this persons voicemail and contacted them by e-mail and will try to get in touch with them again in the morning.

Would whatever photos of damage they have be enough put me at fault in this situation? I do remember pulling up very, very close behind an SUV (which was probably the Range Rover) but honestly don't recall coming into contact with this person's vehicle and certainly don't remember feeling any kind of bump as I pulled up behind him so don't see how I could've caused damage to his car. I do remember thinking as I walked away from my car that I hadn't left very much space for them to pull out and I'm thinking they may have bumped my car (though my car has no damage at all), causing damage... but I honestly don't think I hit anyone's car. Would photos of his car being in contact with mine be enough to put me at fault? Should I contact my insurance company on this matter? I've looked this guy up and he's apparently a very successful real estate broker in the Arlington area...

Did you see the photos, how do you know when they were taken, did it show the car from all angles, ( possibly the car was hit into yours). Does it show your car in the photo. Does the damage to your car match his car. Whats that, your car does not have any damage! Contact does not nessacarly mean damage. Who are this persons witnesses. Does he have any? Can you collect any physical evidence. Such as paint from a different color car, than you own,on his bumber.
To do damage to a car, you would 100% know that you did it. This person could be running a scam on you. Or is simply misguided. This is one reason not to register your car at the same address you get your mail at. I like to make people search for where to serve me with court papers. I had someone make claims like this against me, I found paint on his car that was not from mine, I showed it to the police, I was cleared, after a two hour interview. Good luck.

ecmst12

Is there damage to your car? Is there paint on your car the same color as his? Is the damage at the right height to have been caused by your car?

Even if all of the above is true, how do you know that HE did not hit YOUR car and is now trying to scam you somehow? Is it a coincidence that he just HAPPENED to have a polaroid camera in his car to take pictures and leave them for you?

wardnine

Is there damage to your car? Is there paint on your car the same color as his? Is the damage at the right height to have been caused by your car?

Even if all of the above is true, how do you know that HE did not hit YOUR car and is now trying to scam you somehow? Is it a coincidence that he just HAPPENED to have a polaroid camera in his car to take pictures and leave them for you?
There is no damage at all to my car and no paint from anyone else's car on my car. I haven't seen any photos yet but the note he left says "I have (4) photos and damage from your car and currently your car is wedged under my car" so I assume there are photos of my car being in contact with his. But I honestly don't recall coming into contact with his car and certainly did not hit his car in any way as that is something I would've felt. If I did come into contact with his car (which I am highly doubting), it would've bee my front license plate that would have touched the back of his Range Rover... but I really don't think I came into contact with his car. What I do think is that I didn't leave him very much space to pull out of his spot and he may have accidentally hit my car when backing up and may be trying to pin it on me.

As for your last question, I mentioned in my original post that the guy lived literally across the street so he would have had easy access to a camera... whether that be a cell phone type of camera or another camera he got from the house. I just don't know what to think because, in all honesty, I don't remember coming into contact with any car as I was pulling up to park so am wanting to know if the photos he has (or claims he has) are sufficient to say I was at fault...

ecmst12

Ask for a copy of the photos. Report the accident to your insurance company. Tell them your side and send them the photos. Also allow them to take photos of your vehicle showing that there is no damage. Look at the underside of your bumper too, since he claims his car was wedged under yours. Your insurance company will review all the evidence and then pay or deny the claim as the evidence indicates. If the pictures don't prove that you caused the damage, then they will deny the claim and defend you if he decides to take it to court.

You Are Guilty

OP's car was under the Rover, not the other way around :)

If not a scam (sounds like one to me), consider the possibility that whoever parked behind the OP rammed him into the Rover (i.e. check for damage to the rear bumper as well).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">