• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nena1974

What is the name of your state? IL

I let someone use my car, I have insurance on my car, but this person is not covered under my insurance. If this person gets into a car accident, will I be liable because it's my car, or will the person driving be liable???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hexeliebe said:
No, that's a big cranky attorney with the wind blowing in his hair and a tall redhead in his fantasy!

================================

My response:

You're funny, Hexy! Describes me to a tee!

Anyway, yes you'll be liable for damages under your States' "permissive use" statutes, right along with the driver for his/her negligence if he/she causes an accident.

Look, if you have an insurance policy that will NOT cover other drivers of your vehicle, you'd be a fool to allow anyone else to drive your car.

Ever played Russian Roulette?

IAAL

K

knotcops

If a person has your permission to drive your car, then they would be covered.

With that said, let me give you some advice. DON'T LET OTHER PEOPLE DRIVE YOUR CAR. It has been my experience as an insurance agent, that 85 to 90% of the accidents that are reported by my clients are a result of SOMEONE ELSE driving their vehicle. You don't know the driving record of the person you will allow to drive the car, do you?

lwpat

"If a person has your permission to drive your car, then they would be covered."

Not necessarily. I am seeing insurance policies being written with disclaimers if you do not list a driver. The company is not going to be happy if you have a teenager in your household and you do not list them as a driver in order to get lower premiums.

Also you will see policies that will exclude certain drivers because of their record. The way the post is written it sounds like this may be the case.

K

knotcops

lwpat said:
"If a person has your permission to drive your car, then they would be covered."

Not necessarily. I am seeing insurance policies being written with disclaimers if you do not list a driver. The company is not going to be happy if you have a teenager in your household and you do not list them as a driver in order to get lower premiums.
..........Agreed, with the situation you decribe, but I have yet to see a policy that would exclude someone, such as a friend or relative, that used the vehicle with your permission to go run an errand. Granted, anyone of driving age, living in the household or drives the vehicle on a regular basis must be listed on the policy.

Also you will see policies that will exclude certain drivers because of their record. The way the post is written it sounds like this may be the case.
..........This is also true, but I don't read that into the original post.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">