• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SarBu5

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

I was recently involved in an auto accident on the property of my employer. The accident was caused by icy conditions. The parking lot is usually mantained by the leasing company, however this certain morning it was not. The police report even stated the accident was caused by ice. My car slid into another vehicle parked in the lot. The damage was minimal to both vehicles, however the other party is after me to pay for all her damages. Am I liable for the damages or is the property owner liable?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

SarBu5 said:
What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

I was recently involved in an auto accident on the property of my employer. The accident was caused by icy conditions. The parking lot is usually mantained by the leasing company, however this certain morning it was not. The police report even stated the accident was caused by ice. My car slid into another vehicle parked in the lot. The damage was minimal to both vehicles, however the other party is after me to pay for all her damages. Am I liable for the damages or is the property owner liable?

My response:

Once you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, you're the one in charge, and the one responsible for the failure to control your vehicle under the conditions. If the conditions weren't safe, you had a duty not to drive. PERIOD.

The employer provides a "service" by clearing its parking lot. However, there's no law that says it MUST do so. It's up to you to inspect the area and to drive according to conditions.

The same thing would apply if this had happened on a roadway.

Read your DMV driver's manual.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">