• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kullerocks

What is the name of your state? California

A few months ago, I sold one of the guys I work with my old truck. The sale was documented by a motor vehicle bill of sale, which we both signed. I failed to file a notice of transfer and release of liability form with the DMV and therefore did not notify them of the transaction. A copy of the bill of sale is shown below:

I, (Seller), do hereby sell and transfer one ______________(vehicle color), ___________________(vehicle year, make and model), VIN # ________________, to ____________ (Buyer) for the price of $ _____ (vehicle selling price).
Furthermore, both Seller and Buyer agree that this document will be both a legal and binding contract in outlining the sale of the above so mentioned vehicle.
And furthermore, ___________(seller) is released from all his responsibilities of that vehicle, which in turn will release him from any, but not limited to one, liabilities, suits, liens, traffic tickets, garnishments etc. etc stemming from any negligence_s that may result by __________(buyer)_s failure to meet his responsibilities of that above so mentioned vehicle anytime after this date XX/XX/2007.

Seller_s name:_______________________ Buyer_s name:___________________
Seller_s signature:____________________ Buyer_s signature:_________________
Seller_s address:_____________________ Buyer_s address:__________________
_____________________ _________________
_____________________ __________________

A few weeks after selling the truck, the guy I sold it to was involved in a serious car accident. The truck was totaled and towed away from the accident scene to impound where it was held for 30 days because he had been driving on a suspended driver's license. When the 30 days was up and no one attempted to pay the impound fees in order to have it released, the truck was auctioned off for $500. However, since the impound fees exceeded the $500 selling price, I received a letter in the mail demanding the difference. I have been unable to get in contact with the guy who bought the truck. In light of the fact that I failed to file a notice of transfer and release of liability form with the DMV, am I the one held responsible for these fees? Is there any way out of this? Does the bill of sale hold any significance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">