• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am i liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sinsegudo

What is the name of your state? ct
Hello everyone, i figured i would give this forum a try since i've heard lots of great stuff about it. Here we go, i gave my friend my car about a month ago. He signed a bill of sale but still has not paid me. I left my plates on the car so it would not be towed and he said he wasn't going to be driving the car due to the car needing some work. Well come to find out ,while i was away this past weekend that the car was involved in a hit and run accident in a whole other town from which i parked it in front of his house. I don't know the extent of the accident but did find out from the PD that the car was towed. Since i have a signed bill of sale with the date on it, would i still be held liable for any damages, or would i have to say the car was stolen while i was away on vacation? Any advice would be appreciated. tnx:confused:

nitridr

Since you have a bill of sale you are not liable. You may not ever see the money you did not collect. Was the bill of sale dated and signed by both you and the buyer? Did the buyer aquire insurance? Did you cancel your insurance?
My opinion only.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However, you may still be sued, and you are going to have to prove that you were, in fact, no longer the owner of the vehicle. I find it a bit suspicious that, even though you transfered the car, you never took any steps to have it removed from your name.

sinsegudo

Like i said earlier, we have a signed bill of sale from about a month ago. Will that be enough proof or what else is needed? I also stated i had no idea he was driving the car around since it needed repairs. I only left the plates on so it would not get towed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">