• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Liable??? Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Argyjr

Slightly over a year ago, my brother borrowed my car. He ended up causing an accident that totalled my car, and involved 2 other vehicles in West Chester, Pennsylvania. One of the vehicles was a commercial van. It was unoccupied and legally parked on the side of the road. My brother was listed as the driver on the police report and was also 100% at fault. A month ago, the lawyers representing the company that owns the commercial van contacted me saying the van was recently repaired (a year after the accident) and the total damage was $1100. They said that I'm responsible for the money because they don't have anyway to contact my brother. I don't talk to my brother anymore and I don't have a phone number or address for him. My brother has his license and was fully insured at the time of the accident. He still does have insurance as far as I know now. Am I liable for this money because it was my car? I wasn't even there when it happened! Someone please help! Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes, as the vehicle owner, you are also responsible. Then, it's your responsibility to find and sue your brother for "indemnity" - - to reimburse and make you "whole" for the money you had to pay to the Commercial truck owner.

This same premise is true for all other damage your brother caused on that date, with your car - - including the repairs to your own car.

IAAL

A

Argyjr

Thanks!

Thanks! Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the advice! Thanks again!
-Argyjr

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">