• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am I liable and statute of limitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3cats

My husband and I owned a bar in NY state. Both names were on the liquor licence. We were not a corporation. We saparated (but not legally), and my husband assumed the bar. However, my name still appeared on the liquor licence. After I left running the bar, an underage boy alledgedly had been drinking in the bar and was in an auto accident in which he was killed and others injured. We had no liability insurance and the bar has since gone under. Am I personally liable for any suits that may result? What is the statute of limitation for any one of these injured or family of dead boy to try and bring suit?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3cats:
My husband and I owned a bar in NY state. Both names were on the liquor licence. We were not a corporation. We saparated (but not legally), and my husband assumed the bar. However, my name still appeared on the liquor licence. After I left running the bar, an underage boy alledgedly had been drinking in the bar and was in an auto accident in which he was killed and others injured. We had no liability insurance and the bar has since gone under. Am I personally liable for any suits that may result? What is the statute of limitation for any one of these injured or family of dead boy to try and bring suit?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

New York has a 3 year Statute of Limitations on injury or death actions. And yes, you're on the hook also. The fact remains, your name is on the license - - it doesn't matter if you were living in Alaska at the time of the incident - - you were still an owner.

For example, if your name is on the title of a car, but your husband is driving and causes an accident, it makes no difference whether you weren't there or not, separated or living together - - all that matters is that you were an owner of the car.

You had better seek legal counsel as soon as possible for advice concerning your rights, liabilities, responsibities, and protections.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">