• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Obligated to Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peace4l

What is the name of your state?Florida
I had car insurance with Pricilla Taylor insurance agent in 2002. The reason I chose them is because they offered the most reasonable insurance for my under age son who was about 16 or 17 at the time. Within 3 - 5 months I had my son dropped from my Floridian insurance policy. In 2004 my agent asked me would I be interested in switching to Nationwide because they offered better rates. I told them yes. When I went in to sign the forms I was asked would Steven (my son) be a driver and I said no. A month or so later I received a bill with an additional with $430 added. I called Nationwide to inquire and they said because I have a teenage driver in my house. I told the Nationwide agent (I was also telephone conferenced in with my insurance agent Prisilla Tayor Ins) that my son does not stay in the household nor the state and that he's been in the USAF since 10/03) and is currently stationed in Summter, SC and that he has not changed his address on his license because he does not have a vehicle and is not driving. Although I told my insurance agent that Steven would not be a driver, she did not have me sign the proper form at the time I signed all the other forms. After the fact the agent asked me to come in to sign the form that Steven is not driver on my policy. But Nationwide still billed me. After going back and forth with them, I got fed up and went to Allstate Insurance. Nationwide sent the $430 to collection.

Am I obligated to pay? If so why? Do I need a lawyer? Would having my son send me a notarized letter stating he has not lived in my house since 10/03 and sending it to the collection agent do any good?

Help!

Lynx 36

peace4l said:
What is the name of your state?Florida
I had car insurance with Pricilla Taylor insurance agent in 2002. The reason I chose them is because they offered the most reasonable insurance for my under age son who was about 16 or 17 at the time. Within 3 - 5 months I had my son dropped from my Floridian insurance policy. In 2004 my agent asked me would I be interested in switching to Nationwide because they offered better rates. I told them yes. When I went in to sign the forms I was asked would Steven (my son) be a driver and I said no. A month or so later I received a bill with an additional with $430 added. I called Nationwide to inquire and they said because I have a teenage driver in my house. I told the Nationwide agent (I was also telephone conferenced in with my insurance agent Prisilla Tayor Ins) that my son does not stay in the household nor the state and that he's been in the USAF since 10/03) and is currently stationed in Summter, SC and that he has not changed his address on his license because he does not have a vehicle and is not driving. Although I told my insurance agent that Steven would not be a driver, she did not have me sign the proper form at the time I signed all the other forms. After the fact the agent asked me to come in to sign the form that Steven is not driver on my policy. But Nationwide still billed me. After going back and forth with them, I got fed up and went to Allstate Insurance. Nationwide sent the $430 to collection.

Am I obligated to pay? If so why? Do I need a lawyer? Would having my son send me a notarized letter stating he has not lived in my house since 10/03 and sending it to the collection agent do any good?

Help!
I see your agent wasn't helping you very much here. If you could prove your son did not live in the same house w/ and was in the Air Force then your agent should have had him excluded from the policy.

Does your son have any enlistment papers showing his date of entry or his W-2 showing a different address? Basically if you can provide documentation showing he didn't live there then they shouldn't be billing you. Don't worry too much about the collection agency. Until Nationwise gets a judgement against you in court all the collection agency will be able to do is bug you do death.

Y

ylen13

peace4l send collection agency "CEASE and DESIST" letter that will get to stop calling you. Here is an example of a letter link

teflon_jones

ylen13 said:
peace4l send collection agency "CEASE and DESIST" letter that will get to stop calling you. Here is an example of a letter link
:rolleyes: Of course a cease and desist letter will do nothing to help solve this problem.

Was it $430 additional for a year? 6 months? How long did you have the policy with Nationwide for?

You need to send Nationwide proof that your son was not living under your roof during that time. Send it certified return receipt and tell them to remove the debt from collections. Once you do that, come back here if you're not happy with their response.

Y

ylen13

teflon_jones said:
:rolleyes: Of course a cease and desist letter will do nothing to help solve this problem.

Was it $430 additional for a year? 6 months? How long did you have the policy with Nationwide for?

You need to send Nationwide proof that your son was not living under your roof during that time. Send it certified return receipt and tell them to remove the debt from collections. Once you do that, come back here if you're not happy with their response.
correct it will not get problem solved, but Lynx 36 already offered the solution i was just giving him away to have some breathing room from the collection agency till he got this thing resolved. Having collection agency calling you every day is not going to get you to give proof any faster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">