• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Liability question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex02

What is the name of your state? California

I was wondering who would be liable in an accident if I was drving a car with no insurance under my name but the owner had insurance (which was not present at accident)?

The other persons insurance company is trying to get me to pay a $8 grand settlment split up in 2 payments which i cant afford. Could the owners insurance company be liable for this if they stopped trying to collect from me? Any advice if they make a lawsuit against the owner of the vehicle?

Thanks

Alex02

Also: Could the title of the car be transferred to me so that any efforts to sue the owner would be for me and not him.

In other words can i change back the hands of time. Its a longshot

stephenk

changing title of the car now doesnt affect anything that happened before the title changed.

you were driving someone else's car and got into an accident. The car is insured. I dont understand who is trying to make you pay for the damages.

you would be covered under the policy that insures the car you were driving.

Alex02

To clear things up:

The insurance (State Farm) of the person i hit hired a collection agency to try to get their money.

I just recently recieved a letter from the owners insurance (my brothers Prudential insurance) that said i was exluded from the policy.

So this means the insurance wouldnt cover the me (the driver)? What to do?

M

marollyn

Why did the letter say you were excluded? Carefully read your brother's policy to be sure it is not being misinterpreted by the insurance company in an attempt to avoid paying the claim. Also, is your brother helpful in this matter? He should be trying to get his insurance company to cover this claim. If his rates are going to increase, maybe you could pay for that. I'm sure it will be less than $8000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">