• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another runaround question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rt3406pak

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I bought an older car that needed some wiring repair under the dash board. I got it home and parked it, but because I wasn't driving it I didn't add it to my insurance. I had another car that I was driving that this car was replacing.

While it was parked, another driver rounded the corner at my house and rear ended the car. No one was hurt but the car suffered some damage to the left rear corner.

The car is a 1979 Dodge Magnum that has been valued at @ $4000, so it will not be totalled.

Since the car is old I knew that the parts would be hard to find. I found the parts.

I got three estimates with only one giving me an amount for the parts. The three estimates are ranging from the body shop that deals with this insurance company at $1350, the independant body shop at $1500 and the dealership at $1800.

I received a check in the mail for $1030. I caslled and they said that their adjusters report is what they're sticking with.

Something sounds fishy here to me! I'd love to be able to get something from the store and tell them that this is what your getting because my agent says that's all it's worth.

What I'm asking for is simple: To be paid for the value of the parts that I already paid for and the labor to have the car repaired.

Am I wrong thinking they should pay to have my car repaired? Do I have to settle for their amount? Since the car wasn't insured by my carrier at the time, they won't go to bat for me here, I'm on my own, then I'm dumping my insurance agency for one who cares about me! (if I can find one...)

Can someone lend me a hand here?

lwpat

In a situation like this your only recourse is to file suit against the driver of the other car. You can do this in small claims court and the procedure is fairly simple. You will need to prove how much it cost you to repair the vehicle and check to see what evidence the judge will allow.

You should have just let the shop that the insurance company deals with do the repairs. Then if there are any extra charges the shop will deal with the adjuster.

Why are you mad at your insurance company? You are the one that decided not to place it on your insurance. Just because you are not driving it does not mean that something else could happen as you found out.

R

rt3406pak

I spoke with my father's insurance agency and they said that they would have at least helped by letting me know what my rights were in this case and maybe what I should have done next. My insurance company said in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't help out. I have two other cars insured with them already...

I think that's poor customer service. That's all...

tammy8

The car was not insured at the time of lose, correct? Then WHAT obligation does your current carrier have to you in helping? Yeah maybe they could have given advice however you were not paying any premium on that car. Furthermore in my state due to all the lawsuits, agents are all but forbidden to discuss claims questions.

BTW be lucky you got what you did. Although I am not sure exactly what type of car this is, unless the car was appraised recently, most companies would have given ONLY BOOK value and no matter what type of a car, a 1979 would have been WAY down the ladder.

R

rt3406pak

Maybe it's just me, but customer service (I am paying premiums on two vehicles now) is lost and none of you people seem to have noticed.

The car, by the way, was just appraised at $4000. A $1500 repair bill for some reckless fool who rearended it while it was parked on the side of the street is not a lot of money.

I ran an auto parts store and if I wanted to stay in business I had to help my customers whether or not they had "paid" for anything for that particular vehicle. I will try to find a different insurance company because I am their customer, not my cars!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">