• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any Answers To My Questions??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SADIEREY

this is the second post, I took out some info, and hope I put in enough for some answers, some of you out there really seem to know your stuff, could I get some info from someone?

What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA
I was rear-ended. The other driver was found at fault. They already paid for the damage to my car.
Med bills are only about 6500.00 and time lost at work 5 days, with PT and Doctors appnts.
I guess the rule of thumb is to get 3x the amount of your med bills for pain and suffering... and I did suffer... not only physically and mentally, but it threw me into a financially unstable tailspin for almost a year now..
SOOOO. I am asking if I do get 3x the amount of bills,do I have to pay my med bills out of that settlement... or do they pay the medical bills AND I get the 3x for pain and suffering. can anyone give me some answers even to some questions I havent asked. HELP!t

lwpat

You are responsible for your medical bills. You can pay them from whatever funds you like.

As for the settlement it is what you and the insurance company agree on or what you are awarded by a court.

R

Raisinette

SADIEREY said:
this is the second post, I took out some info, and hope I put in enough for some answers, some of you out there really seem to know your stuff, could I get some info from someone?

What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA
I was rear-ended. The other driver was found at fault. They already paid for the damage to my car.
Med bills are only about 6500.00 and time lost at work 5 days, with PT and Doctors appnts.
I guess the rule of thumb is to get 3x the amount of your med bills for pain and suffering... and I did suffer... not only physically and mentally, but it threw me into a financially unstable tailspin for almost a year now..
SOOOO. I am asking if I do get 3x the amount of bills,do I have to pay my med bills out of that settlement... or do they pay the medical bills AND I get the 3x for pain and suffering. can anyone give me some answers even to some questions I havent asked. HELP!t
It's whatever you negotiate, sadieray. The old "three times the medical bills" was simply shorthand for guessing what insurance companies would offer based on what court settlements were awarded. It is not "a rule" much less "law." Usually your insurance company has covered your medical bills under your PIP coverage, and wants to (must) be reimbursed -- either directly from the other carrier or, if your settlement is inclusive of that, from you. Be careful here & check your local laws.

Note that in terms of settlement offers, not all medical bills or injuries are evaluated the same. Your "claim" is worth whatever you negotiate as settlement, or what an attorney does, or what a court awards in the event that you sue the negligent driver.

S

SADIEREY

Thanks

thanks for the info... Thank goodness I was not too badly injured, I just want to make sure the bills are paid and I can get out of the tail-spin financially from what I had to put out myself from what my med insurance didn't pay. (acupuncture and chiro were not covered but were needed, and many co-pays for numerous visits.) So if I get that back and my wages.. I can forget this nightmare. thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">