• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any legal responsibility for domestic partner's child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riveramr

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My home (which I purchased prior to my relationship), is solely in my name. My domestic partner and his 17 year old son live in the home. The son is on the verge of getting his drivers license. Would I have any financial liability (over and above what his insurance covers) should the son be in an auto accident? I am not the child's legal guardian nor do I have legal custody.

Last edited:

Litigation!

riveramr said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

My home (which I purchased prior to my relationship), is solely in my name. My domestic partner and his 17 year old son live in the home. The son is on the verge of getting his drivers license. Would I have any financial liability should the son be in an auto accident? I am not the child's legal guardian nor do I have legal custody.

My response:

Not unless you're the one signing his application. If not, then you're off the hook. But, the other parent isn't, which might turn out to have an impact on you, anyway.

So, the moral of this story is to make sure the kid has lots of insurance, and then buy more.

IAAL

riveramr

I guess my concern is that dad really doesn't have anything to lose, therefore I wondered if I would be the next in line to sue. I know this all sounds crazy but I worked hard to get what I have and want to make sure I'm protected.

If insurance is the sure way to accomplish this, then I suppose that's the route I'll take. Thanks for your comments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">