• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anybody with knowledge of SSI process?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LadyBlu

I have a question about the SSI process.
If anybody that has had to go through this could help I would gretly appreciate it.

I applied for disability benefits in August, today I received the Pain Report/Work History Report/Supplemental Questionairre in the mail.

My question is this: Is this close to having a determination made at this point? or is this just the beginning?

My injury is 2 herniated disks, L4/5, L5/S1, Degenerative Disk Disease and Disk Space Narrowing. I have been off work since April 12th, fighting with Workers comp and still fighting to get the needed surgery for me to be able live pain free. There is no compensory claim other then medical, as I was originally misdiagnosed as having a Back Strain 5 yrs ago, and have now had a Dr Designate override that diagnosis. I am on pain meds daily, Darvocet, Talwin and Ultram have all been prescribed. the Dr has told me surgery is my only option at this point because of the amount of deterioration to my disks.

I know that they base your disability on whether you are no longer able to do the type of work you have previously done and that has already been verified by my Dr. As has the 2nd opinion for the surgery and the Medical Review by a Dr Designate.

ANY advice/opinions that anyone has would be gretly appreciated.

M

maxi

hello !! well i do believe that is just the beginning .Iwent thru this 12 years ago and it took me 2 years to get it .Please get a attorney when you get your final denial because you will be denied at least 3 times .I wish you the best of luck .BTW WHEN YOU DO WIN and im sure you will eventually they will have to pay you back from when you first applied

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxi:
hello !! well i do believe that is just the beginning .Iwent thru this 12 years ago and it took me 2 years to get it .Please get a attorney when you get your final denial because you will be denied at least 3 times .I wish you the best of luck .BTW WHEN YOU DO WIN and im sure you will eventually they will have to pay you back from when you first applied <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank You for your response...
So even with the Dr's opinion and limitations of not lifting over 5lbs, no bending, kneeling, limited walking, limited sitting, and taking pain pills daily just to function 1/2 way normally they could deny me 3times?

I knew that they will normally deny the first claim but some people had told me that they usually overturn it on appeal. At least that has been what some have told me that have filed recently.

Also, I was wondering if/when I get the medical approval from Workers Comp insurance to have the surgery if that will speed up the process any? If I have the surgery wouldnt I obviously considered disabled at that point ?

M

maxi

well you would get what they call an ppi permanent parcel impairment rating if i remember right and yes that will give you a permanent disability .Also whatever you get from workmans comp will be deducted from the ssi i dont know what state you are in but in IN they are slow and about the only way you win here is with an attorney

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxi:
well you would get what they call an ppi permanent parcel impairment rating if i remember right and yes that will give you a permanent disability .Also whatever you get from workmans comp will be deducted from the ssi i dont know what state you are in but in IN they are slow and about the only way you win here is with an attorney <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no monetary benefits in TX for workers comp after 2yrs, and the misdiagnosis wasnt found until recently, it has been 5yrs. So as my ombudsman at Workers Comp put it I just have my pride to lose at this point. There isnt any atty's that will even take my case at this point because of the way the laws are here. They are regulated on monetary judgements for Workers Comp, they can only get 1/4 of the workers total monetary benefit. All I am asking from Workers Comp is to pay for the medical.. which it seems they can dispute for forever and until I get the surgery I am not capable of doing any of the work I have previously done or trained to do.

M

maxi

gosh sorry about that ! who ever didnt give you the right diagnosis should be sued i feel for you anyways like i said when you eventually get your ssi they will have to pay from day 1 when you applied its just to bad that you have to fight them who knows maybe by now it will be a little easier best of luck

L

LadyBlu

gosh sorry about that ! who ever didnt give you the right diagnosis should be sued i feel for you anyways like i said when you eventually get your ssi they will have to pay from day 1 when you applied its just to bad that you have to fight them who knows maybe by now it will be a little easier best of luck <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, But again, you cant sue the Dr for not doing his job right in a Workers Comp case. The reason that the Dr Designate called it a misdiagnosis is because the only type of imaging that was done on my back at the time of the original injury was X-Rays, and X=-Rays do not show the disk damage, and I had been complaining of numbness and tingling in my foot and leg and that was credited tot eh severly sprained ankle that I was diagnosed with. funny thing is that both of these diagnoses, sprained ankle and strained back, should have been treatable within a month or two, I was out of work for almost 7mos. Lesson learned too late... but thanks alot for your responses...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">