• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assumption of Risk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

timmcneely

In another post I made I asked about negligence. A friend crashed while driving my car ( see other post). I have been trying to do research on negligence and have come across the doctrine of Assumption of Risk.

This is what what one site had to say :

"The doctrine of assumption of risk bars a claim for negligence when it can be shown that the plaintiff, by his or her conduct, voluntarily chose to encounter a know and specific danger and either fully appreciated or should have fully appreciated the risks posed by that conduct. It is rarely applicable in automobile accident claims, because it involves intentional, as opposed to negligent, behavior. However, since it is a defense at common law to a negligence claim, under the appropriate set of circumstances it may be applicable in an automobile accident claim."

By letting someone else drive my car, did I voluntarily chose to encounter a know and specific danger and either fully appreciated or should have fully appreciated the risks posed by that conduct?

I would like to know how much of a role that each of us played in causing the damage. If I did assume the risk, can I still make a claim?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">