• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attendant parking car didn't know about left-side gas pedal !!! who is at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

agroyle

What is the name of your state? FL

I am a small valet company. We had an accident involving a car with a left-side gas pedal. The driver did not mention this to the attendant and when the attendant went to park the car and press the brake while driving it, he actually had his foot on the left accelerator (thinking it was on the brake and the gas pedal must be sticking) and ramming it into another car and eventually a tree.

The extra pedal is designed to help I suppose people who do not have use of their right leg. It is a third pedal to the left of the brake pedal making it three pedals all together. This extra pedal can be folded down so as to prevent this accident but the pedal was not folded down and the owner did not make the attendant aware of it.

According to my insurance agent in the past, once we take possession of the car, we are responsible all around.

Are we responsible in this case? Is this the owner's negligence to make the attendant aware of such a hazardous device in his car? Is not the owner responsible to fold the pedal down to make the car safe to drive?

Curious to know before I start submitting this claim to my insurance. Or hire an attorney.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">