• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney did not pay med bills, now i'm being sued by collections agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

niguagua

somebody out there?! can i get some feedback please, if you decide to read this.

What is the name of your state?
California
I was in a car accident July 2001, the other driver that hit me was at fault. My car was declared a total loss. At that time, I just started going back to work from my maternity leave and did not have health insurance. I suffered lots if injuries and decided to hire an attorney to handle the case for me. I made 2 visits to the ER for severe nose bleeds, and these bills were not paid by my attorney with the settlement. I just found that out today via a call from a collection agencies attorney's office. First of all, I hired an attorney so that I would not have this kind of problem.
I am being told that if I don't come up with the almost $600 that they will take me to litigation. If it comes to that, will it be at small claims, and what will those extra fees cost me? What else can they do, I just don't have the money. Does it just end up on my credit report? Will they really pursue this since $600 is probably such an insignificant # to them.
Why am I being contacted a year after the case has closed. I am certain the attorney representing me at that time had those bills in their hands. I personally faxed them to him because I had gotten diliquent notices. I am also being told that they were not paid because I did not sign a lien. I was not given this piece of info that I had to sign a lien when the case was open. I don't even really know what a lien is. I am being shut out cold because the case is "closed." Shouldn't they be held responsible for the bill.
What are my rights and options?
I am head of household of a family of 4, we rent a duplex. We have bills/debts galore and don't own anything except 2 old cars. Can these be taken from us if I don't pay? I have even been looking into debt consolidation/bankrunptcy, but that's another story. Just wanted to give you and idea of how much of a struggling paycheck to paycheck family we are.
Any help, advice, suggestions, or pointing me to other places for more info would be more than appreciated. Thanks for your time!:confused:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">