• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident 10/06 - Atty Not Working for Us!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swoosh60

What is the name of your state? WI

My fiance' and I were rear-ended by an uninsured drunk motorist in October 2006, and have filed the claim through my auto insurance's uninsured motorist policy. In addition to ambulance bills, ER bills, radiology bills for that night, we both have incurred some pretty hefty chiropractic bills. Fortunately we are both recovering and nearing the end of treatment.

We retained an attorney to handle both claims (his and mine) in January. She took a $500 "retainer" for incidental expenses (I highly doubt any of this money has been used towards anything) and had us both sign forms for release of medical records to be sent to her.

My fiance' called her about a month ago and she hadn't even yet gotten copies of ANY of the medical bills. I called her last week for a status update and also because I got a notice from a subrogation service for my health insurance provider wanting to find out more information on the accident so that they could collect for my health insurance and reimburse them.

Basically, I feel as if our attorney has done nothing to date with this case, and we believe it's because she has bigger fish to fry and is very busy. I haven't even gotten a return call from my call to her of a week ago. I called again today and still no call. I realize perhaps patience is in order here, but frankly I don't think we're any further along than when we hired her in January.

My question is this: can we "fire" her without any obligation on our part if it really is the case that no work has been done to date? My fiance also told me today that he received another form from his health insurance about how they could get reimbursed (similar to my subrogation form). He forwarded the first form to the attorney to have her fill it out at least 2 months ago. I suspect the form may be sitting on her desk and that's why he's getting another one now.

I truly do not think she has had any contact with my uninsured motorist rep on my auto insurance as of this date. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

moburkes

No, you cannot fire her without paying her. You signed some paperwork when you hired her, right? Why did you feel that you needed an attorney to deal with your insurance company. What are the at fault party's liability limits? What are you uninsured motorist limits (per person, per accident)? What are your bills? What are your boyfriend's bilsl?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">