• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2manykids

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
16 year old daughter was involved in traffic accident with an 88 year old woman-totalled my car (only liability) injured my daughter-concussion and neck injuries( not life threatening).
Elderly lady ran stop light-no witnesses other than my daughters passenger who claims my daughter had a green. My car was hit behind drivers door,impact was so hard it spun my car around and was hit a second time on the passenger side in the front, lady made no attempt to stop(her car also totalled but she had no injuries)---should I contact a lawyer. No one was ticketed due to no witnesses. When the police officer interviewed my daughter in the hospital she was so out of it she couldn't see straight (headinjuries) and did not knowhere she was so when the officer asked her what color the light was she said what light? It wasn't until an hour or so later that she was able to piece together the accident by that time the officer was gone and couldn't be found. Police were no help. My insurance said it will take care of my daughters medical but I'm without a car and she has lost wages from not being able to work. I contacted my insurance who contacted the elderly lady who hung up on them after claiming I have nothing to say to you talk to my insurance agent. My daughter is also seeing a therapist to relieve the pain in her neck and the numbing in her arm and hand. She also still has headaches from the concussion.Who do I talk to ---will my insurance agent try to fight for me? will they take care of my daughters future medical? I'm not finacially able to pay a lawyer but I also don't want my insurance going up for something that was not my daughters fault. In the rescue squad the lady asked the paramedic if they would return her library books as that was where she was heading so she wouldn't get a fine for them being overdue---not is the young girl ok just return my books!

Last edited:

P

ProResearch

You did not state whether you contacted the elderly lady's insurance company (?) They will conduct an investigation to determine if their insured is liable for your property damage and other bills.

Additionally, even though you just have liability, who did *your* insurance company identify as being liable? You can ask them your questions too. Most of the time they will be helpful and point out things you need to do.

Helpful web sites:

www.nolo.com - look for Personal Injury on the left-hand side of page and it guides you through the process of accident, how fault is determined, when to hire an attorney, etc.

www.about.com - there is so much information here depending on what your search term is .... property damage, car wrecks, accident liability, insurance negotiating.... you name it, you can find it.

Hope this helps a little :) And, yes, consultation with a GOOD attorney who specializes in auto accidents / personal injury is always helpful. They can tell you if you have a case or not. They can tell you best ways of dealing with it if he/she will not take the case (do the claim yourself, small claims court, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">