• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brandylbryan

What is the name of your state? virginia
i was involved in an accident where i backed into a man who was illegaly parked behind me. i was parked at a video store, and as i prepared to leave a man pulled up horizontally behind me and parked. i could not see the rear end of his truck behind me because it was below my window and hit his left rear end as i reversed. there were no injuries and the damage is assesed at $450.00. was i completely at fault because i hit him or was he because he was parked in the street.:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

brandylbryan said:
What is the name of your state? virginia
i was involved in an accident where i backed into a man who was illegaly parked behind me. i was parked at a video store, and as i prepared to leave a man pulled up horizontally behind me and parked. i could not see the rear end of his truck behind me because it was below my window and hit his left rear end as i reversed. there were no injuries and the damage is assesed at $450.00. was i completely at fault because i hit him or was he because he was parked in the street.:confused:

My response:

It's your fault. During a backup movement, it's your duty to make sure, through continuous view, that your path is clear. If you couldn't see behind you, then your mirrors need adjusting and, again, that fact would also make you negligent. If there's an obstruction to your movement, you have a duty to stop.

What would you have said if there was a human being; e.g., a child behind your vehicle?

The simple, everyday, definition of "negligence" is - - "Those who look, but do not see, are negligent."

Pay the damages.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">