• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

npr

What is the name of your state? NJ

Background:
I was involved in an accident where my passenger-side front hit the rear-left-side panel of the other driver. The other guy got out of his car (unhurt, perfectly ok) walked over to me and we exchanged insurance info. He didnt want to wait for the cops to arrive for filing on-the-spot police report. He wanted our insurance companies to "handle" the issue. Of course, I cannot force him to wait at the spot, and he drove away. No police report, no witnesses, no pictures. Later, my insurance company paid for his car damages.

Situation:
Now this guy has filed a lawsuit against me saying he was rear-ended and suffered injuries. Some chiropractor's medical papers were attached to support his claim. My insurance company's lawyers are now defending me in this case. I haven't hired a personal attorney yet.

Questions:
1. Can this guy mention his pain-n-suffering problems & win this lawsuit inspite of no police report filed on the accident spot?

2. Does auto-insurance lawsuit judgements affect the defendent's credit history if they are unable to pay?

3. Is it advisable that I hire my own attorney or can I just rely on the insurance company's lawyers to defend me in this issue. Also, can I counter-sue the other guy by hiring a personal attorney coz I think he is filing a false claim?

Thanks

npr

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">