• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ScaredWift

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My husband was in an accident a few months ago and one of the driver's does not have insurance. It has been deemed my husbands fault and our auto insurance has paid that full amount of our coverage to this other party for property damage. He also has some minor medical claims that are in process.

Here's my question... our insurance was $3500 short to cover the blue book on his vehicle. We now know that we were underinsured - that's a whole other storey.

I want him to know that we are willing to pay that and he doesn't have to sue us. How do I go about that without opening a can of worms?

My agent said he may make a medical settlement and never come after us for the property damage, but I don't want to count on that.

Also, has it been anyone's experience that he may come to us before deciding he has to sue for the difference? What are the odds that I can make 2 or 3 payments to him to cover the amount?

Any experiences/help would be appreciated.

spawn_x

Talk to him and tell him that as soon as he senses something is fishy and you're not on time with the payment he can go ahead and sue.

Explain to him that if he sues you will still not be able to give the amount immediately.

Talk to him see what he says, but be prepared to pay on time or he can/will sue.

Also, as an uninsured motorist he is entitled to ONLY the medical bills amount and Not pain and suffering, or at least that is true in California. Hopefully someone else will correct / back me up on that..

So if he is not entitled to pain and suffering then there's little chance that the property damage will be settled under medical since only his bills will be covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">