• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aln_mathews

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was injured in an automobile accident in December of 2002 while I was a passenger in a one-car drunk driving accident. Both myself and the driver were intoxicated (his BAC was more than three times the legal limit and he was given a DWI). He never turned the accident into his insurance company and now I have creditors calling me about the hospital bills. When I signed all the papers at the hospital, I was intoxicated and disoriented from the accident.

2 Questions
1. Can I be held legally responsible for signing anything accepting liability for the hospital bills while I was in an altered state of consciousness?

2. What are the statutes of limitations for filing an insurance claim in this case?

K

knotcops

You were treated for injuries and the hospital wants to be paid. Can't blame them for that.

Call the insurance company and file a claim. It will be more difficult than usual since you have waited so long, but don't wait any longer. Since he was cited for DWI, there is a police report. Get a copy to stregthen your case.

One more thing, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE DAMN IT!

A

aln_mathews

Thanks

I appreciate the advice. I was just concrened I waited too long to act.
As far as the drinking and driving goes... it was a hell of a price to pay for my own stupidity. The accident changed my life and I'll likely never enjoy another painless night of sleep. I'm just glad I learned my lesson before anyone other than myself had to pay for my immaturity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">