• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jopie

What is the name of your state? California

My boyfriend was involved in an accident, with a car he just got from a dealership. He had the car for about a week, and was in the process of getting auto insurance, but the service could not verify the VIN number because the dealership kept stalling because they were looking for a bank to finance the car. My boyfriend did not know that the car was still in the process of getting financed becuase they would not return his calls. Anyway, he was involved in an accident, he was turning left on a signal and was hit by a car that was coming across from him on a stop sign. Now the driver of the other car is trying to make my boyfriend pay for damages. Can he do that? Even though this other driver was supposed to have stopped and waited for my boyfriend to pass. Could my boyfriend be held liable for not having complete insurance on the car?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jopie said:
What is the name of your state? California

My boyfriend was involved in an accident, with a car he just got from a dealership. He had the car for about a week, and was in the process of getting auto insurance, but the service could not verify the VIN number because the dealership kept stalling because they were looking for a bank to finance the car. My boyfriend did not know that the car was still in the process of getting financed becuase they would not return his calls. Anyway, he was involved in an accident, he was turning left on a signal and was hit by a car that was coming across from him on a stop sign. Now the driver of the other car is trying to make my boyfriend pay for damages. Can he do that? Even though this other driver was supposed to have stopped and waited for my boyfriend to pass. Could my boyfriend be held liable for not having complete insurance on the car?

My response:

Your boyfriend is not liable because he had no insurance - - negligence has nothing to do with whether someone has insurance. He's liable because he violated the other person's right-of-way, and made an unsafe left turn, and is therefore, negligent. He will be responsible for the cost of repairs to both vehicles, and for all other damages claimed, and proved, by the other driver. In other words, he's in deep poo-poo.

Your boyfriend had no business driving a vehicle without at least California minimum liability coverage. Therefore, your boyfriend will be fined by the State of California and lose his driver's license for 6 months.

IAAL

J

jopie

Correction

You have it wrong or I might have not explained it enough...my boyfriend had the right of way, but he still did not have the insurance fully initated....the other driver drove across when he should have stopped and waited. My boyfriend did not have insurance on the car because he really never owned the car. The dealership was still looking for a bank to finance it. The other driver drove into the car my boyfriend was driving.

stephenk

"He had the car for about a week, and was in the process of getting auto insurance, but the service could not verify the VIN number because the dealership kept stalling because they were looking for a bank to finance the car."

your boyfriend is lying. The VIN number is right on the top of the dashboard, just below the windshield on the left side. he could have gotten insurance the day he picked up the car.

He had no business driving the car without insurance. He is now going to find out how much that hurts his pocketbook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">