• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BrokeDown

What is the name of your state? MO
My wife was in an auto accident a couple days ago and was taken to the hospital via EMS. She had to wait a while as the Emergency room was very busy. She had numerous X rays and then was taken to a room to wait for the doctor. The only thing the doctor did was gave her a piece of paper to read about things to look out for and told her she could leave he said nothing else! The other persons insurance company has been in touch and told us that they totalled the our vehicle. Of course they are offering alot less than what we owe for the vehicle. I went to the kelly blue book site and Nada site. The at fault insurance company is offering $500.00 less than what either of these sites say the vehicle could be worth. The vehicle was in excellent shape when we bought it 5 months ago but it was used.
My wife has went back to work but she is still experiencing some pain. I have an appointment with a local attorney tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on questions to ask the attorney. I have never done anything like this before and would like to know what I'm getting into.

Respectfully
BrokeDown

HomeGuru

BrokeDown said:
My wife was in an auto accident a couple days ago and was taken to the hospital via EMS. She had to wait a while as the Emergency room was very busy. She had numerous X rays and then was taken to a room to wait for the doctor. The only thing the doctor did was gave her a piece of paper to read about things to look out for and told her she could leave he said nothing else! The other persons insurance company has been in touch and told us that they totalled the our vehicle. Of course they are offering alot less than what we owe for the vehicle. I went to the kelly blue book site and Nada site. The at fault insurance company is offering $500.00 less than what either of these sites say the vehicle could be worth. The vehicle was in excellent shape when we bought it 5 months ago but it was used.
My wife has went back to work but she is still experiencing some pain. I have an appointment with a local attorney tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on questions to ask the attorney. I have never done anything like this before and would like to know what I'm getting into.

Respectfully
BrokeDown
**A: the first question to ask is about your wife and her well being.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BrokeDown said:

Respectfully
BrokeDown

My response:

I love it!

All that bloody, gory, detail and ALL you're asking is "was wondering if anyone could give me advice on questions to ask the attorney" which, by the way, has no relation to all of those bloody, gory details!

We're not going to give you a list of questions. That's impossible. Just wing it.

IAAL

B

BrokeDown

I wish to apologize

To: HomeGuru and I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I wish to apologize for my stupidity! I really didn't mean to offend either of you. I am concerned about my wife as she is stubborn and has chosen already to return to work (she is a classroom teacher). I have never had to deal with anything like this before in my life and I am concerned on what to do as I really don't trust insurance companies or attorneys. I want for me and my wife to be made whole in this situation.

Most Respectfully
BrokeDown

JETX

"I want for me and my wife to be made whole in this situation."
*** There are two separate issues in this.

1) Property damage:
Since your vehicle was only recently purchased (5 months), you would clearly be within your right to expect (demand?) that they give you the purchase price, less any mileage or damages since the purchase. It would not be unreasonable for this 'deduction' to be $500 in that time.

2) Personal injury:
This is much harder to determine since it is completely subjective to the amount and extent of injuries incurred, the pain and suffering, and the potential for long-term damages.

I would simply answer the questions posed by the attorney and what his opinion is based on the facts that she presents. Ask what his record is on these types of claims (how many, win/loss, etc.) and what his fees are. Thank him very much for his time and then go talk with a couple more attorneys with the same questions. Then decide which, if any, you decide to let handle her claim.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: I wish to apologize

BrokeDown said:
To: HomeGuru and I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I wish to apologize for my stupidity! I really didn't mean to offend either of you. I am concerned about my wife as she is stubborn and has chosen already to return to work (she is a classroom teacher). I have never had to deal with anything like this before in my life and I am concerned on what to do as I really don't trust insurance companies or attorneys. I want for me and my wife to be made whole in this situation.

Most Respectfully
BrokeDown

My response:

No need to apologize, and you didn't "offend" me!

I sympathize with your plight, but I just thought it was a bit humorous to have had to read through all of those details, only to be presented with a question (concern) that had nothing to do with the "details".

All you had to say was,

"My wife was involved in a motor vehicle accident. We've never had to deal with this type of situation before this event occurred. Are there any suggested questions or reading materials you can tell us, or recommend, before we see our attorney, to help better prepare us for the initial consultation?"

There you go.

IAAL

Last edited:
B

BrokeDown

Thank you for your responses

I want to thank you so much for your responses'! I feel that speaking to more than one attorney is an excellent idea. At first I was just going to go and speak with the Attorney with the most ads on Television but feel that may not be in my best interest. I have at this time decided to contact Martindale - Hubbell to see which attorneys in my area that they may recommend. I must admit this is kind of scary for me due to my lack of experience in these matters.

Respectfully
BrokeDown

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Thank you for your responses

BrokeDown said:
I want to thank you so much for your responses'! I feel that speaking to more than one attorney is an excellent idea. At first I was just going to go and speak with the Attorney with the most ads on Television but feel that may not be in my best interest. I have at this time decided to contact Martindale - Hubbell to see which attorneys in my area that they may recommend. I must admit this is kind of scary for me due to my lack of experience in these matters.

Respectfully
BrokeDown

My response:

Martindale is merely a publishing company. They don't "recommend" attorneys. It would be much easier to call your County or State "Bar" Association and ask those good folks for Auto Accident/Personal Injury attorney referrals. Those are the people with their "fingers on the pulse of who's good". Also, those attorneys who are "good enough" and who are "considered best" are the only ones who make it on the State Bar referral list.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">