• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nadine34WA

auto accident - rear-end

State: WA

This afternoon I had my roommate drive me to the pharmacy to get some medication due to illness. The car we were behind was approaching a green light and decided to abruptly stop not giving us any warning to slow down so we rear ended the car. The police came and took a report and sited my roommate for "following to closely" which she wasn't. There were no injuries to any of us. Except substanial amount of damage to my car. Now being we rear ended him we are held liable for the accident which I disagree with because he gave us no other option we would of hit other car along side of us or the cars coming head on from the other lane. There was no way for us to get out of his way.

Another thing that concerns me is that the gentlemen we hit was 92yrs and hearing impaired. Isn't there any laws about driving at that age???

Now I am stuck with god knows how much damage to my front end. I do not have collission on my car so that won't pay for the damages. Can he be held liable for any of this???

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nadine34WA said:
State: WA

This afternoon I had my roommate drive me to the pharmacy to get some medication due to illness. The car we were behind was approaching a green light and decided to abruptly stop not giving us any warning to slow down so we rear ended the car. The police came and took a report and sited my roommate for "following to closely" which she wasn't. There were no injuries to any of us. Except substanial amount of damage to my car. Now being we rear ended him we are held liable for the accident which I disagree with because he gave us no other option we would of hit other car along side of us or the cars coming head on from the other lane. There was no way for us to get out of his way.

Another thing that concerns me is that the gentlemen we hit was 92yrs and hearing impaired. Isn't there any laws about driving at that age???

Now I am stuck with god knows how much damage to my front end. I do not have collission on my car so that won't pay for the damages. Can he be held liable for any of this???

My response:

You can disagree all you want, but the fact remains that if your friend wasn't following too close, it stands to reason that she would have been able to stop.

Your cause of action is against your friend due to her negligence.

IAAL

nadine34WA

Re:

I do disagree.

He gave her no warning the light ahead of us was green. That means go. There was nothing in his way to make him stop like that.

You never mentioned anything about his age which I think is a contributing factor to this accident because of judgement/motor skills are slowed down. In his case abruptly HALTED!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nadine34WA said:
I do disagree.

He gave her no warning the light ahead of us was green. That means go. There was nothing in his way to make him stop like that.

You never mentioned anything about his age which I think is a contributing factor to this accident because of judgement/motor skills are slowed down. In his case abruptly HALTED!!!!!

My response:

Okay. You win.

IAAL

JETX

nadine34WA said:
I do disagree.
Disagree all you want... but your friend is STILL liable for the damages.

The bottom line here is that your friend was driving too close for the speed he was traveling. If he had provided sufficient room to stop, the accident would never have happened. Simply, your friend should NEVER be closer to the car in front than the space required to stop safely.

And see, there is another of your errors. There is NO statute that PREVENTS him from stopping. You may disagree all you want, but simply, the driver CAN stop in traffic when/if he wants. The other driver could have seen a ball roll into the street, or a kid running towards the street and didn't think the kid was going to stop.... or could have even imagined the entire thing. He STILL has the right to stop. You in turn, have the OBLIGATIOn to stop without hitting him.

Interesting that you say that. His 'motor skills' seemed to have been a hell of a lot better than your friends.. his were so bad he couldn't stop in time!! :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I'm sure glad you came around to explain this, JetX. I just didn't have the patience. It was just easier to let her "win", and to let our writer live with the damaged vehicle.

IAAL

Last edited:

JETX

I agree.... and your approach is often the wiser one than trying to 'educate' the ignorant.

To the OP get over it already!!!!! :rolleyes: Your roommate was at fault for following too closely. That's the whole point in traveling a "car-lengths" or two away from the vehicle in front of you....as well as following the speed limit....TO PREVENT REAR-END ACCIDENTS. It gives you time to stop in case the person in front of you stops abruptly or turns w/o using the signal.

H

herb777777

You never mentioned why the elderly gentleman stopped abruptly, but it could have been what he preceived as a suprise road hazard. Maybe not, but you are following too closely if you do not allow a safe enough distance behind another vehicle to react to the unexpected. Remember, you can't see what lies directly ahead of the vehicle in front of you i.e. an object fallen off another vehicle, a suddenly passing animal, a sink hole, whatever. If you always imagine that there could always be something that could stop the car in front of you without warning how much following distance do you think you need to keep it safe?

JETX

herb777777 said:
You never mentioned why the elderly gentleman stopped abruptly, but it could have been what he preceived as a suprise road hazard.
Echo.... echo.... echo...... Yep, that was already said in earlier posts on this thread.

Maybe not, but you are following too closely if you do not allow a safe enough distance behind another vehicle to react to the unexpected.
And so was that.

Remember, you can't see what lies directly ahead of the vehicle in front of you i.e. an object fallen off another vehicle, a suddenly passing animal, a sink hole, whatever.
Not exactly that way... but already said.

If you always imagine that there could always be something that could stop the car in front of you without warning how much following distance do you think you need to keep it safe?
And yep.... already mentioned SEVERAL times.

With that, why were YOU compelled to post????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">