• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

btejas

I was involved in an auto accident in June - van ran stop sign - I was in an older sports car on a through street and hit the van. I was hurt, taken to the emergency room and my car was totaled. I had no collision since my car was old but the appraised value is over 15K. Van driver was cited for failing to yield right of way.

Van drive had high risk insurance with a 25K injury and 15K pd limit. His insurance refused to pay my med bills that total about 13K and my car. I hired a laywer in July but he hasn't really done anything that I can see. How long should this take to bring to a close? Did I choose the wrong lawyer or are all cases this slow?

I am sorry I am from Texas

Last edited:

Litigation!

btejas said:
How long should this take to bring to a close? Did I choose the wrong lawyer or are all cases this slow?

My response:

First of all, you didn't follow the forum instructions. Secondly, how are we supposed to answer your questions - - with a crystal ball?

IAAL

weenor

I would never recommend settling a case in less than a year until the full affects of the accident are resolved...you must be released from treatment, etc....check your SOL to make sure it doesn't expire...occasionally lawyers miss those...other than that be patient...this isn't a lottery or instant money...your lawyer will have to gather documents to prove your case.

ceara19

weenor said:
I would never recommend settling a case in less than a year until the full affects of the accident are resolved...you must be released from treatment, etc....check your SOL to make sure it doesn't expire...occasionally lawyers miss those...other than that be patient...this isn't a lottery or instant money...your lawyer will have to gather documents to prove your case.
Texas SOL is 2 years. I understand that the injury settlement could take some time to settle, but there is no reason that the property settlement shouldn't even been addressed by now.

S

shell007

Property damage and Personal injury should be two seperate claims.

Did you refuse ANY/ALL settlement proposals up until this point?
If so...Settling the property portion should have no bearing on the PI portion of your claim!! (If that's what you were afraid of)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">