• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bill Thomas

My sister and brother-in-law who now resides in Ellicott City, Maryland received a Summons from Toyota regarding a car accident about 3 years ago which happened on I-95 in New York City. A woman's car had stalled in the interim two cars had collided into hers and following that my niece (who had permission to drive her parents'car) collided into the back of the other two cars. For some reason she was considered the at-fault driver. Toyota was sued and issued out settlements. Toyota is now suing my Sister and Brother-in-Law stating that they are liable for the monies Toyota had to payout to the various drivers that sued.

My sister and borther-in-law have a house in Maryland and do not want to lose it. What can they do to protect themselves and how can they found out why my niece (being the last driver to collide) was considered the negligent driver?

Thanks,

Bill Thomas

Where is your sister's insurance company in all of this? They have a duty to defend when she was sued or sobrogated against. Also, they might look at getting their own attorney.

All this hinges on what the other drivers told the police and the Toyota investigators. The way it should have been, is that your sister would only have to pay for the rear damage to the car her daughter hit. It looks like she was accused of starting the chain reaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">