• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mllandmpl

A person slammed into my car in a grocery store parking lot. He called his insurance, (State Farm) and they looked at my vehicle and cut me a check for what they consider the damages to be. I requested that they pay my wife and I for the time we needed to take off of work to run to their apraisal office, run to the rent-a-car office, run to the dealership where we are having our car repaired, etc. They told me they would not pay for that--Do I have any recourse or should I just let it go?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mllandmpl said:
A person slammed into my car in a grocery store parking lot. He called his insurance, (State Farm) and they looked at my vehicle and cut me a check for what they consider the damages to be. I requested that they pay my wife and I for the time we needed to take off of work to run to their apraisal office, run to the rent-a-car office, run to the dealership where we are having our car repaired, etc. They told me they would not pay for that--Do I have any recourse or should I just let it go?
My response:

Yes, you are entitled to reasonable reimbursement for your time. But for the accident, you would not have been required to take that time for something you didn't cause.

Therefore, since his insurance company won't pay "reasonable" loss of time, sue the other driver in Small Claims court for a "reasonable" amount.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">