• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident- auto part repair/replace?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbmw

What is the name of your state? California

I was being real ended by the other party at the red traffic light, she accepted her liability, and we both have the same insurance company. My car real bumper have two deep imprinted hole from the other vehicle licence plate. I dropped off my car at the dealer body shop of my choice, and my insurance appraiser came to look at my vehicle and told me that it can be repair. I bought my BMW brand new, and I've tried very careful to never get into car accident. However accident do happens, I'd like to have my car as original as possible by requesting my insurance to have my bumper replace and they turn me down. I've been with this insurance company for 6 years without getting any ticket or involve in any accident.
Is it because both me and the other party having the same insurance company that why the insurance company try to cut cost by not letting me have my car bumper replace? Can I request my insurance to have my auto apart replace instead of repair? What can I do to have my insurance to cover for the new part? After this experience I am definitely looking into purchase my auto and home insurance some where else. the term "you get what you pay for" is more correct in this situation, than "we go extra miles for you".:confused:

Last edited:

ecmst12

They are not obligated to replace your bumper if it can be repaired. But you can pay the difference if you like.

jbmw

the repairing would depreciated the value of the car, and it's not going to look the same. I purchased the insurance thinking the insurance company will cover my vehicle incase of an accident like this. Yes, They are not obligate to replace the part but they are obligate to insured satisfaction. Shouldn't they consider about that too? Thanks for your respond.

ecmst12

They're not obligated to "insured satisfaction". They're obligated to repair your vehicle. If the bumper can be repaired and doesn't NEED to be replaced, then they don't have to replace it. If you are THAT concerned about preventing depreciation on your car(and in that case, why are you driving it?), then pay the difference yourself. Otherwise, you can read your policy and that will tell you exactly what your insurance company is obligated to provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">