• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident - Bodily Injury Release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida Viking

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife and I were in a rear-end car accident on 12/02/2008, with the other driver at fault. The "at-fault driver" and I have the same insurance company, Progressive.

Both my wife and I have been treated by a Doctor since the accident. My wife for a neck sprain and me for bulging disc's in my neck and back pain. My wife has completed her treatment, although she still has some neck pain, which massages help greatly.

Our insurance company has sent a "Bodily Injury Release" form for us to sign in consideration of the sum of $3,500.00 for her claim. Although the attached letter to my wife states; "The settlement of $3,500.00 would be seperate from the injury claim for your husband", the name on the Bodily Injury Release form has her name (first) followed by my name, which we both have to sign.

The insurance company adjuster has said the person who's first name is on the Bodily Injury Release is the person the settlement is offered to and it will not affect any future settlement that may be offered to me at a later date. Is it customary for both names to be on the Release, even when the other person is still being treated? I don't want to sign something that may affect my possible future claim against the at-fault driver and insurance company.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">