• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident (of course) and liability to registered owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dagw00d

What is the name of your state? California

My father was forced into oncoming traffic by another driver (car Z) and subsequently had a nasty head-on collision with another car (car A). Car Z fled from the scene. Accident took place in a well lit area, clear skies and no other environmental impactful conditions.

When the police arrived on the scene they took statements from the driver of car A and other nearby witnesses. My father was rushed to the hospital and wasn't able to make a statement. Unfortunately the witnesses only saw the accident after my father swerved into oncoming traffic so naturally the police report cites my father as being at-fault based on witnesses and where the vehicles came to a stop as well as Areas of Impacts.

Friends have told me that my father is liable to car A since car A is 100% innocent in this accident regardless of car Z's recklesness. I would assume it's a liability chain, with car Z at the end of the liability (at-fault) food-chain.

Question 1: If we cannot find car Z, does liability stop at my father?

Question 2: Can my father give his accounting of the accident and say there is no way any person in their right mind would knowlingly and soberly drive into oncoming traffic unless forced to by another negligent driver?

Question 3: The car my father drove is registered to me. :-( Am I liable to the owner of car A if my father's insurance isn't enough to cover their bodily and property damages?

Question 4: Assuming my father's insurance is enough to cover all damages to car A, can the owner of car A come after my father or me...say in 6 months or 1 year or even 10 years down the road? Bodily injury is so hard to guage.

Thanks very much for your replies. I am in the process of looking for a lawyer but am so new to this area, some direction is certainly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dagw00d said:
What is the name of your state? California

My father was forced into oncoming traffic by another driver (car Z) and subsequently had a nasty head-on collision with another car (car A). Car Z fled from the scene. Accident took place in a well lit area, clear skies and no other environmental impactful conditions.

When the police arrived on the scene they took statements from the driver of car A and other nearby witnesses. My father was rushed to the hospital and wasn't able to make a statement. Unfortunately the witnesses only saw the accident after my father swerved into oncoming traffic so naturally the police report cites my father as being at-fault based on witnesses and where the vehicles came to a stop as well as Areas of Impacts.

Friends have told me that my father is liable to car A since car A is 100% innocent in this accident regardless of car Z's recklesness. I would assume it's a liability chain, with car Z at the end of the liability (at-fault) food-chain.

Question 1: If we cannot find car Z, does liability stop at my father?

Question 2: Can my father give his accounting of the accident and say there is no way any person in their right mind would knowlingly and soberly drive into oncoming traffic unless forced to by another negligent driver?

Question 3: The car my father drove is registered to me. :-( Am I liable to the owner of car A if my father's insurance isn't enough to cover their bodily and property damages?

Question 4: Assuming my father's insurance is enough to cover all damages to car A, can the owner of car A come after my father or me...say in 6 months or 1 year or even 10 years down the road? Bodily injury is so hard to guage.

Thanks very much for your replies. I am in the process of looking for a lawyer but am so new to this area, some direction is certainly appreciated.

My response:

The discussion begins and ends with the answer to this question:

Was there any physical contact between the two vehicles before your father's head-on?

IAAL

dagw00d

There doesn't appear to be any physical contact from before the head-on collision. I guess things are looking pretty bleak.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">