• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident in CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhyattct

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Question:
Someone pulled out in front of me, then stopped suddenly. I couldn't stop and hit her on the driver-side front door. This accident caused significant damage to my car and I have now been contacted by the other insured's insurance to settle the "total loss" of my 1999 Lexus ES300. There were 2 witnesses, plus the "at-fault" driver admitted fault immediately at the accident.

In addition to the loss of my vehicle, I have been aggrevated with minor, lower back pain, for which I have been receiving on-going physical therapy. While I have been improving, I continue to have mild pain and discomfort. Am I entitled to medical compensation and "pain and suffering" damages?

Is there anything else that I should consider in this accident?

Age of involved: 43

seniorjudge

Q: In addition to the loss of my vehicle, I have been aggrevated with minor, lower back pain, for which I have been receiving on-going physical therapy. While I have been improving, I continue to have mild pain and discomfort. Am I entitled to medical compensation and "pain and suffering" damages?

A: Since you did not indicate any serious and permanent physical injuries, I'd say no. But, what the heck, ask for more dough anyway.

Q: Is there anything else that I should consider in this accident?

A: Yes; have your lawyer read over the police report before you talk to anyone involved in the wreck.

ecmst12

CT does not have a requirement that injuries be "serious and permanent" in order for pain and suffering to be collectable.

seniorjudge

CT does not have a requirement that injuries be "serious and permanent" in order for pain and suffering to be collectable.
Thanks for the info.

So the answer was correct:

A: Since you did not indicate any serious and permanent physical injuries, I'd say no. But, what the heck, ask for more dough anyway.

mhyattct

Thanks

I appreciate the insight. Since I continue to have back pain, I would like to ask the insurance company for compensation. However, they are about to give me money for my car, which is totaled. If I push for an additional claim, won't I risk them not paying me for my car now? That's my concern.

ecmst12

Any injury claim is totally separate from your property damage claim. You should notify them that you are injured and intend to make a claim as soon as possible, if you haven't already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">