• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto-accident death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loukor

Hello I am from New York, United States and I am speaking for my father (defendant) since he is not very good at speaking english. A plaintiff has ordered judgement against my father for a death in which he was not responsible for. Here is a description of how the accident occured,

My father, who is a limo driver, was on the highway driving his passenger to his/her desired location. The passenger was drunk and started feeling sick, so my father asked if he should stop so that the passenger could throw up. The passenger told my father to keep driving but a few minutes later the passenger yelled at my father to stop. My father had to stop on the left side of the highway since the right side was an intersection and my father told the passenger to get out from the left side since there is traffic on the right side but before my father could stop the car, the passenger opened the door and ran out from the car and into traffic. My father quickly ran out (obviously concerned) to check on the passenger. The passenger then got hit by a passing-by car and died due to injuries, and the car that hit the passenger crashed into the side guard rail after hitting the passenger. Even if my father jumped out when the passenger jumped out, it would have been hard to see because it was dark (night) and it was also raining pretty heavily.

Now the wife of the passenger has ordered judgement against my father and the person who hit the passenger. I believe that my father is not at fault since the passenger was drunk at the scene and the passenger ran into traffic on his own. The spouse of the dead husband declared,

1. Carelessly, negligently and recklessly operated his motor vehicle.
- My father tried to park on the side to help the passenger, how can she claim something such as that?

2. Including allowing plaintiff to disembark into traffic; failed to protect his passenger.
- How can he stop a drunk passenger who (on his own will) ran out even before the vehicle could stop?

3. Failed to pull to the right side of the road; failed to stay in the right lain.
- my father couldn't stop on the right side since there was an intersection, so his only choice was to stop on the left side.

4. Failed to keep a proper lookout permitting his passenger to enter a zone of danger.
- again, what could have my father done when the passenger decided to run out on his own even before my father could stop the vehicle.

As the defendant's son.. I am concerned and scared at the same time, my father has been working very hard to support me and has done nothing wrong... ever. I'm thinking about talking to the plantiff (spouse) about this issue but im concerned to how she would react. Do you think my father should have the court hear his defense? Do you think my father has any chance against this matter? if so then should we get a lawyer?

Thank you for your help
- Louis

P.S. - My father has 30 days to submit his pleading, defense, certification of good cause.

las365

Did your father work for a limo service, or was he self-employed at the time of the accident? Either way, he should have insurance coverage. Your father needs to IMMEDIATELY give the papers he was served with to his insurance company. They will provide a lawyer for him.

If he had no insurance, he needs to hire a lawyer on his own dime, right away.

ecmst12

I cannot believe that he could be held accountable for the actions of his inebriated passenger. The passenger still had free will, he was told to get out on the left side of the car and did not. But he still needs representation or he could easily lose.

las365

I don't know, as a first reaction I would tend to think that the drunken passenger was primarily responsible for his own actions, but there could be a pretty compelling argument that the limo driver was negligent for stopping on the side of the highway at all and that was the proximate cause of the death.

I know he didn't want the guy to puke in his limo, but he really should have pulled off at the next exit and found a safe place to stop. At least, I figure that will be the Plaintiff's argument.

loukor

Hello, thank you for your replies.

My father works for a limo service company and he does have a insurance company. We have to send a copy of a summons, a copy of a complaint, tract assignment notice, and cis to the insurance company also. We recieved the stuff mentioned above from the plaintiff's lawyer yesterday.

Does every insurance company provide you with a lawyer?

My father already submited his side of explanation but I read the explanation and it doesn't seem to be a good one since he doesn't speak english very well and I couldn't help him during this situation because I was in Canada, studying. Is there anyway to resubmit the pleading?

Some other information, my father said he had to let the passenger out even if he didn't wan't him to go out because the drunk passenger was yelling at him, like a threat. Also the passenger yelled at my father to stop so that can could puke, if my father didn't stop... he would have jumped out of the car. My father didn't even get the car to a full stop and the drunk passenger open the door on his own will and ran out to puke.

-thanks

p.s. - would it be wise or possible to talk to the spouse of the dead husband? I would like to talk to her and comfort her to the best of my abilities.

UPDATE - The driver of the vehicle that hit my father's passenger was a police, and the explanation that my father gave was made into a police description, not an actual pleading or does a police description count as a pleading? I'm sorry im just so frustrated and confused.

Last edited:

ecmst12

OMG your father attempted to answer the summons on his own??? That was a HUGE mistake. Yes, one's insurance company must ALWAYS provide one with a lawyer if sued for a covered accident. Hopefully his lawyer will be able to undo any damage.

The passenger got out before the car even came to a complete stop, I think that puts most of the blame on him.

No, you should not have any contact with the plaintiff. Nothing you say is going to make her feel any better anyway.

loukor

Does a police description count as a summons? The plaintiff submitted a summons but I don't think my father submitted one. How long would this issue take to get resolved? days? months? years?

-Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Was the spouse in the car at the time of the accident?

I'm sorry this is happening to your father. Are you back in the States now to help him?

I agree with las...I think they are going to say that your father was attempting to stop in an unsafe location. That at least may make him partly negligent. However, PROVING the passenger jumped out while the car is still moving may be difficult. If the spouse was in the car, I'm sure she is going to say that isn't true. Please make sure you father is represented by a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. If you can't be there to help translate better, have someone who can.

Good luck.

loukor

Thank you IrishNodak, No the spouse was not one of my father's passenger, his wife was not there with him when this happened. I don't think we can 'Prove' that he jumped out of the car but he was yelling at my father to stop so that he could puke and there wasn't any place to park the car except for the left side of the highway.

In the Civil Case Information Statement, my father checked the box that asked, 'Will an interpreter be needed?' and he checked 'yes'. Will he get a interpreter 100%? If by chance he doesn't, I will be there to interpret for him.

-Thank you

P.S. - yes I am back in the states to help him.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Step 1. Forward every paper your father received to his insurance company immediately. Make a copy and keep it for his records.

Step 2. Say NOTHING to anyone except his insurance company or the lawyer they will provide him. Not one word to the police, his employer, the spouse, ANYONE.

Step 3. Make sure the appointed lawyer knows that your father already submitted some papers to the court (or to whoever he sent them to). Hopefully, he kept copies of the papers he sent in. If not, describe them as best you can to the lawyer. In the meantime, do NOT let him fill out or send any papers unless they are to/from his appointed lawyer.

As far as an interpreter goes, what language is needed? The courts generally have a Spanish interpreter available at all times, but other languages are hit or miss. Some judges will let someone else translate, but that depends on the specific judge.

This is a very serious matter and your father needs the assistance of his insurance company.

loukor

We need a Korean Interpreter, Of course if a Korean interpreter doesn't show up.. then I can step in but since I was born in the U.S., my korean isn't that great but I will do my best.

Since it's the weekends the insurance company is closed and we did send some stuff before but they didn't reply, so we will go to the insurance company directly on Monday. Thank you for the helpful reply and steps that you have given us.

- thank you

P.S. - your name scared me at first haha, Happy New Years.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Once you have an attorney assigned, you can act as an "informal interpreter" between the lawyer and your father. You won't need an "official" (court) interpreter for years, if at all - from now on, your father will never speak to anyone directly (other than his own lawyer, for whom you will probably do any translating that's needed whether you wanted to or not). In fact, I'm sure the attorney will be glad to have your assistance, as they probably can't speak Korean.

Just make sure your dad knows who he is and isn't allowed to talk to, and make sure he stays quiet. It's not unheard of that the spouse who is suing him hires a private investigator who will try to speak to your father without his lawyer and try to trick him into saying something he shouldn't.

Once he gets his lawyer, they can explain the whole process in much more detail.

Good luck.

loukor

Thank you, I told my father not to talk to anyone other then the lawyer that will be appointed to him in the near future. By the way, do you think 30 days is too short to get a lawyer by any chance? This is all so sudden, im trying to relax but I just can't get the thought out of my head that he might go to jail or might go bankrupt because of this issue. What a way to start off the new years eh?

-Thank you for your support.

ecmst12

The insurance company will have lawyers on staff, so one should be appointed pretty quickly.

I would not expect the case to be settled for months or years. The wheels of civil court turn slowly.

loukor

A person hired by the insurance company came-by our house today and asked us to come to his office so that he could get my fathers statement and other required papers. I will go to the insurance company just to double check, incase this is a fraud but maybe I'm overeacting?

-BTW, my fathers car auto-locks every door when the car starts moving but you can manually open the door by just lifting the lock tab, which is what the passenger did to get out of the car.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">