• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident with Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tstokes1

State - Texas

My dog was hit by a car on Sunday evening while I was visiting a friends house. The dog got out of a locked gate, when the homeowner went to take out the trash. She (the dog) darted out into the street and was struck by a car. It was truly an accident. I immediately rushed her to the ER, where the doctors saved her. Her right lung collapsed, she suffered many bone breaks and fractures which requried surgery, as well as 19 stiches on her face to put her back together. The cost was over $3000.

The girl that hit my dog exchanged information with other witnesses at the house while I was at the ER. She has since contacted me stating that I am liable for damages to her car. My question to you, am I liable for damages caused to her car? She claims that I was negligent because my dog was not on a leash. I don't know if I need to contact a lawyer or not. Any advise would be appreciated.

FYI - My dog (7 mth old puppy) comes home today after several procedures/surgeries to repair the damages done to her. She will have a very long recovery process, but the vet said she should recover fully. A few ugly scars, but she should be fine.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tstokes1 said:
State - Texas

My dog was hit by a car on Sunday evening while I was visiting a friends house. The dog got out of a locked gate, when the homeowner went to take out the trash. She (the dog) darted out into the street and was struck by a car. It was truly an accident. I immediately rushed her to the ER, where the doctors saved her. Her right lung collapsed, she suffered many bone breaks and fractures which requried surgery, as well as 19 stiches on her face to put her back together. The cost was over $3000.

The girl that hit my dog exchanged information with other witnesses at the house while I was at the ER. She has since contacted me stating that I am liable for damages to her car. My question to you, am I liable for damages caused to her car? She claims that I was negligent because my dog was not on a leash. I don't know if I need to contact a lawyer or not. Any advise would be appreciated.

FYI - My dog (7 mth old puppy) comes home today after several procedures/surgeries to repair the damages done to her. She will have a very long recovery process, but the vet said she should recover fully. A few ugly scars, but she should be fine.
My response:

Nice to read that doggy is doing better !

Yes, you are liable for the driver's damages. The dog is yours, and you failed to maintain control of your dog. Dogs, obviously, do not belong in the roadways where cars are traveling.

This is a Small Claims court matter. See if your own homeowner's insurance will cover you. If not, you're on your own.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">