• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident dui NYS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dragonlady

I was in a car accident at a traffic light. I was going through a green light and a car went through a red light. I hit the car. The time was 10 PM and it was drizzling and the road was wet. I hit the car on the drivers side. When I looked at the car from my car it appeared to have been in a prior accident. The front end was smashed in and steam was coming from the engine. I decided not to get out of my car and wait for the police. The other car backed up and parked on the passenger side of my car for about 3 minutes. The car then pulled away and tried to leave the scene of the accident. The police pursed him and arrested him. The police then came to where I was and asked if I was alright I told them that my back was hurting but that is was probably from the shock of the accident. In the report it appears I was treated at the scene.

The county has called me to testify at a grand jury hearing on this accident. The driver is charged with driving under the influence. He has 2 priors and was driving with a restricted license. Leaving the scene of an accident and assault. The car was not his but his brothers.
My question is can I sue the brother and the driver? I am not injured physically except the say for about a week my back and shoulders did hurt. I am not sleeping well now, I keep thinking if I was just a bit faster I could really have been hurt and everytime I drive at night I am very nervous. When I hear the screeching of brakes my shoulders tense up and really hurt me. I work generally a late shift at work and the road I take is the shortest way home. I would like the brother who loaned this man a car to understand that he can not enable an abuser of drugs and alcohol with a weapon like a car to go out and take pot shots at pedestrians and other cars. It is like giving a loaded gun to child. Do I have a case for a lawsuit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">