• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident, expired tags and insurance HELP!! I'm PANICKING!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

songbirdlaura

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was in an accident today where I was given a ticket for failing to yeild to traffic which did not have a stop. (I did stop, but attempted to drive through the intersection because I hadn't seen the other vehichle) My problems are as follows. I was a moran and despite moving to TN in July 02 had not licensed my car in TN and my previous state's tags expired in Oct. of 02. Another problem is that my insurance had expired, but I gave the officer my old insurance card.

The officer cited me for expired car tags, and said if I got my car licensed that it would probably be excused. He did not know at the time of the accident and the onsite reporting that my insurance was in fact expired.

I have full intension of going on Monday to the insurance company and getting a new policy with them. Yes, I called them after the accident and asked if they would be able to reinstate my policy, even with the very recent accident. The woman I spoke with said it was a possibility, but they needed more information than I had on me at the time I spoke with her.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do I call the police station and inform them that my insurance was in fact expired or do I simply let them discover this fact on their own and by that time have proof of insurance and thus proof of financial responsibility?

2) Can I be cited for lying to an officer?

3) Will my driving license be suspended? If so, any idea for how long, and what it will take to get it reinstated?

4) Since, I did not have insurance, can the other driver sue me? If so, since I already have a huge dept from college loans, can he really "get anything out of me?"

5) My fiance and I have a joint banking account at this time. If the other driver sues me, can he "go after" any money my fiance has?

6) Does anyone know if it is possible to get whiplash when hit from the side, thus having caused your head to "jerk" from shoulder to shoulder?

7) Since the other driver actually hit me, can he claim whiplash and "get away with it?" Everything I read online about whiplash states "caused by being hit by another car."

JETX

"Do I call the police station and inform them that my insurance was in fact expired or do I simply let them discover this fact on their own and by that time have proof of insurance and thus proof of financial responsibility?"
*** There is no benefit in your making them aware of your non-insurance status. It will come up eventually when the other driver files a claim and it is rejected.

"Can I be cited for lying to an officer?"
*** Yes, you could be, but that would be unusual.

"Will my driving license be suspended? If so, any idea for how long, and what it will take to get it reinstated?"
*** It very well could be suspended. the how and when will be set by the state.

"Since, I did not have insurance, can the other driver sue me? If so, since I already have a huge dept from college loans, can he really "get anything out of me?"
*** Oh, yes. The other driver (actually their insurance company) will very likely sue you to recover their damages (paid due to your NOT having insurance). Needless to say, this will likely be a long, expensive, stressful 'lesson in life'.

"My fiance and I have a joint banking account at this time. If the other driver sues me, can he "go after" any money my fiance has?"
*** Yep. Also, the state gives the judgment creditor additional rights to seize your non-exempt assets. And they can do it for the next 10 YEARS after the judgment is issued. Oh, and lets not forget, the judgment will also accrue 10% annual interest until paid.

"Does anyone know if it is possible to get whiplash when hit from the side, thus having caused your head to "jerk" from shoulder to shoulder?"
*** Yes it is.

"Since the other driver actually hit me, can he claim whiplash and "get away with it?" Everything I read online about whiplash states "caused by being hit by another car."
*** Yes, he can make that claim. And yes, he can 'get away with it'.

Summary, get ready for a "VERY bumpy ride".

B

badtenant

AAahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

YOU ARE A MORON!~ Its refreshing to actually thank a poster for being honest about themselves.

-------------------
My questions are as follows:

1) Do I call the police station and inform them that my insurance was in fact
expired or do I simply let them discover this fact on their own and by that time
have proof of insurance and thus proof of financial responsibility?

A....... they will find out soon enough and probably issue you more tickets for no inurance and registration

2) Can I be cited for lying to an officer?

A......no

3) Will my driving license be suspended? If so, any idea for how long, and what it
will take to get it reinstated?

A.....YES you will lose your drivers licnese , who knows for how long?????

4) Since, I did not have insurance, can the other driver sue me? If so, since I
already have a huge dept from college loans, can he really "get anything out of
me?"

A.......Yes the other driver can sue you azzzz off, and you will have to file for bankruptcy... But the GOOD NEWS is: you cannot discharge your student loans...you will have to pay them off...YEAH!!!

5) My fiance and I have a joint banking account at this time. If the other driver
sues me, can he "go after" any money my fiance has?

A.......was his name on the title to the car...then yes. As well as joint accounts too... so Never get married

6) Does anyone know if it is possible to get whiplash when hit from the side, thus
having caused your head to "jerk" from shoulder to shoulder?

A. Yes but by having no insurance you cannot sue for pain and suffering.

7) Since the other driver actually hit me, can he claim whiplash and "get away
with it?" Everything I read online about whiplash states "caused by being hit by
another car."

A. Yes since you have no insurance, he might as well sue you for everything just in case your parents DIE and leave you some money.

So there you have it..Your parents DEATH (or a major HIGH paying JOB) would be a welcome relief for your financial mess you caused yourself, assuming they would leave you any money.

PS......DONT make your life even worse by getting PREGNANT untill its all paid off!!!!

Last edited:
S

songbirdlaura

A.......Yes the other driver can sue you azzzz off, and you will have to file for bankruptcy...

**So, if he sues me and since I have no money, I file for bankruptcy, then is the dept "paid?"

A. Yes since you have no insurance, he might as well sue you for everything just in case your parents DIE and leave you some money.

**Are you saying that if my final parent alive dies in say 5 years, they can/will come after the money I may inherit?

A.......was his name on the title to the car...then yes. As well as joint accounts too... so Never get married

** My name is the only name on the title of the car. So, does that mean they will not be able to "go after" my fiance, despite the joint checking?

If they can still come after his money as well, if we get married in say 2 years, can they then "go after" his money?

S

songbirdlaura

"My fiance and I have a joint banking account at this time. If the other driver sues me, can he "go after" any money my fiance has?"
*** Yep. Also, the state gives the judgment creditor additional rights to seize your non-exempt assets. And they can do it for the next 10 YEARS after the judgment is issued. Oh, and lets not forget, the judgment will also accrue 10% annual interest until paid.

What are non-exempt assets?? Also, how does all the above work if I file for bankruptcy?

B

badtenant

songbirdlaura said:
A.......Yes the other driver can sue you azzzz off, and you will have to file for bankruptcy...

**So, if he sues me and since I have no money, I file for bankruptcy, then is the dept "paid?"

**Are you saying that if my final parent alive dies in say 5 years, they can/will come after the money I may inherit?

>>>>>>Answer.....Yes it is possible for the creditor to re-open a claim if say you win the lottery, or come into some money, or if your parent "hides" the money for your safe keeping.. Or you dont list all your debts and assets..... but a judge would have to approve it.

==================

........** My name is the only name on the title of the car. So, does that mean they will not be able to "go after" my fiance, despite the joint checking?
++++++++++++++++++++++

A....... So far only your name is on the title, you are the only one responsible.

If they can still come after his money as well, if we get married in say 2 years, can they then "go after" his money?
A. Marriage means JOINT, joint mean you both are responsible for each other, so yes you would both be responsible to pay off the debt. So do you still want to get married?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">