• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident, hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lexis20031

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My vehicle was parked. Someone hit my vehicle and took off. A witness obtained the license plate number and description of the vehicle. The vehicle I was driving is in my mothers name as well as the insurance.( PLPD ) I was advised to file a small claim.
I did file and my question is- Does my mother have to be in court if the vehicle was in my posession at the time?
Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lexis20031 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My vehicle was parked. Someone hit my vehicle and took off. A witness obtained the license plate number and description of the vehicle. The vehicle I was driving is in my mothers name as well as the insurance.( PLPD ) I was advised to file a small claim.
I did file and my question is- Does my mother have to be in court if the vehicle was in my posession at the time?
Thank you.

My response:

Not only does your mother "have to be in court", but because the vehicle belongs to your mother, it's your mother who has to be the person who files the lawsuit - - and yes, "be there" too.

It's not YOUR vehicle. As such, you have no "legal standing" to sue someone else for damages that occur to someone else's property; i.e., your mother's vehicle.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">