• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident and Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caligurl81

What is the name of your state? California

about a year and a half ago I was involved in an accident in which I was at fault. I told my cousin ( who's car it was) that I would hold myself responsible for any bill they recieved regarding that accident. A month after they informed me that everything was taken care of. My cousin them contacted me 7 months after the accident telling me that both her and her husband had gotten into accidents and she had gotten a DUI. She then proceeded to ask me when I was was going to send them money regarding my accident. I told her I thought it was taken care of and she claimed it wasn't. I then requested that they provide me with paperwork stating what happened to the car and what expeses they were left with regarding my accident. They agreed and failed to do so. A year passed since then and they have contacted me again asking if I could start paying of whats left on the car I was driving but never sent me proof that the car was even totalled out and if it was that it was because of me or one of them. I'm willing to pay what I owe but nothing more and i'm afraid of them trying to sue me but they won't provide me with the information I need to make sure what they are telling me is correct. If I could get someones advice please I would really appreciate it thank you

moburkes

You are responsible for the damage that you caused, regardless of whether or not you feel that you are (just so you know). When they sue you, they will be required to provide proof of the damages, and, if fixed, the cost of the repairs.

All the rest of the stuff you added has nothing to do with the accident you caused.

stephenk

Was the car you were driving insured? Did you have your own auto insurance insurance coverage, including property damage coverage, at the time of the accident?

caligurl81

I didn't coverage at the time and yes their car had insurance. I've requested the insurance forms from them but I get no response back. I don't know what to do. I have no problem paying but I want it on paper showing me what happened to the car and when and also how much. I don't think that's too much to ask is it?

stephenk

you are reasonable. unless they provide you proof of the damage amount, you don't have an obligation to pay them anything.

If you do pay them money make sure you get them to sign a release of all claims against you for the damage to their car in exchange for the money you are paying.

" I, car owner, hereby release caligurl81 of all claims arising out of the accident of "date" in exchange for the sum of $xxx.00, paid to car owner on this date, July 30, 2007.

Date:

Good luck and don't get in any more accidents while uninsured.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">