• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident involving daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twinkie1981

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My daughter was driving my car and another person hit her. The other person was sited and the insurance company of that person has accepted liability and already sent me a check to repair the car. I asked about a settlement amount in regards to possible neck and back pains my daughter may experience down the road and the insurance agent said we could do one of two things: Accept $500.00 and settle the claim. Or, Accept $500.00 and leave the claim "open ended" for 6 months in case my daughter experiences complications as a result of the accident later on. The insurance agent also said there is a two year statute of limitations in this case.

Here are my questions: What exactly does "two year statute of limitations" mean?
Is $500.00 a reasonable amount considering there could be neck and back complications down the road?
What if my daughter develops complications beyond two years down the road that can be traced back to this accident?

My daughter was able to swerve my car enough out of the way that the impact was not as bad as it could have been. The air bags did not deploy and my daughter is currently feeling fine. She didn't go to the emergency room nor has she gone to her doctor to have her neck and back checked out.

What do you suggest I do in this case? Is there a maximum amount I could get to cover possible medical bills in the future?

Thank you, Carla

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Here's what I suggest - - see and hire a personal injury attorney immediately. You're about to be screwed, and it's already started. The attorney will answer all of your questions.

IAAL

T

twinkie1981

Thank you !! I took your advice and have an appointment this coming Saturday morning. But, the attorney I talked to said we might not have a case since my daughter didn't seek any medical attention but the attorney still wants to talk to us. My daughter reminded me that she did complain of lower back pain several days later and reminded me that she had me look at her lower back for a bruise. I didn't find one. I'm wondering if that pain is related to the accident? The pain is gone now, it only lasted a couple days. And, again, my daughter didn't go to the doctor's. (Our family was and is not big on going to the doctor's for every little ache and pain. We ususally wait for crisis!).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">