• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident/On the Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dsiebrecht

California. My daughter was involved in a single car accident (fatigue was listed as reason)while on the job. She was being paid wages and mileage from her job. Workmans Comp is paying for her medical injuries but they deny liabilty for her car. She carried only liabilty insurance on the car. I have copies of all her employment papers she was never informed that her car was not covered by the companies insurance policy and did not sign anything releasing them from being liable. Is there anything we can do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No.

And why would the employer be responsible for her car ?

"Fatigue" is not the employer's fault. It is the fault of the driver. If the fatigue was the proximate cause of the vehicle damage, then that expense falls squarely upon your daughter's shoulders.

Under California law, when a driver assumes responsibility by getting behind the wheel of a vehicle, the driver is the one responsible for the proper, safe and lawful operation of that vehicle.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">