• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident. Lawsuit might be filed against me. Advice Please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DrewR

I was in a car accident a few weeks ago. I was at a 4 way intersection "Washington State" and yielding to oncoming traffic waiting to make a left hand turn. I yieleded and proceeded to make my left hand turn when I turned and hit this girls car. The lane she was in looked like a turning lane only, so I thought she was turning.

They told me that I should let them know how much I have for there coverage 25,000.00 and they may open a claim with there own insurance company. Got a letter the other day, and it said that a lawyer is now representing the passenger, and they are asserting a claim of damages against me through my insurance company. My insruance company also states that the claimant may file a lawsuit against me. I don't own property and still owe on my car. That is all I really have. I have a small internet business ,but that doesn't really provide me with a lot of money. I don't have anything to give them. What am I to do? I don't have any money if they sue me. I just want to go back to school and get on with my life.

They will probably do a assets check on me, but I have nothing. What happens then? What happens if 25,000 is not enough or they want to sue me for more?

[Edited by DrewR on 04-16-2001 at 09:20 PM]

racer72

This sounds like a case of someone looking for an accident to happen. I would find it hard to believe that a minor fender bender accident would cause any claim to exceed your insurance limits unless the vehicle was an extremely rare or valuable car. Even the minimum limits for the medical portion is $25,000 per person. I would let your insurance company know that you feel that the other party may be attempting to defraud them. If you are sued your insurance company may be responsible to provide legal counsel if they are also named in the suit. Until you are served with papers if you are sued, let your insurance company handle everything. And if the other party wants any information, you do not have to voluntarily give it, especially any credit card or bank account numbers, your income or any other personal information.

D

DrewR

"racer72" Thank you for the responce. I spoke with a friend of mine that works with my lawyer. He told me that even a couple days in the hospital should take care of his medical bills. The passenger said he had a neck sprain and was in the hospital for 2-3 days. I was told not to worry because as long as I pay my insruance I should be okay. He also said something about my liability insurance coming in as well. He left a messege this morning also stating that they probably would do a assets check and find that I have nothing. I am just going to school and working. He pretty much told me what you told me, let my insurance handle it, and if they due sue me they will provide legal councel. But it might not come down to that you know. He said my insurance would be fine, because they would not get much out of me.

racer72

They cannot do an "assets check" on you unless they have obtained a judgement against you and a 30 day window for them to collect the judgement has expired. That is why in my previous post I said not to volunteer any information even if they ask, you do not have to tell them. What they be attempting to do is find as much info about you as possible and sue for only "obtainable assets". Even if they find you are worth only a few thousand dollars, that is what they would sue for because they know they could get it. I still contend you and your insurance company are victims of a scam, no one spends 2 or 3 days in a hospital for a sprained neck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">