• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident and liability concerns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ic_peddler

What is the name of your state? California

My son was driving through an apartment complex and a large SUV quickly backed out of a space and into my son who now had stopped. In speaking to the adjuster, the Ins Co agrees that their client was liable, but only 80% with 20% blame to my son. They have a check ready for me, but before I take the money, I want to try to get my son to zero liability because of the affect on his insurance rates. He is 21 years old and going to college.

1- I assume that even 20% liability will land him in the Insurance Tracking System for 3 years with an at fault accident. Is that correct?

2- Is it possible to negotiate a lower payout, to have him removed from liability totally?
(Damage was $1900 to his car and zero to the SUV trailer hitch.)

3- If they will not negotiate, what can I do with the Insurance Commissioner or elsewhere etc to get fight this?

ecmst12

1. Probably not, I believe he would have to be more than 50% at fault to have it affect his rates.

I'm curious though, what they believe he was doing wrong if he was stopped and hit by a reversing vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">