• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident (my fault) (property damage)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dandk

I live in Tennessee. I made a left turn on a VERY yellow light and caused another vehicle to collide with my car. I received no citations for this incident. My car was totalled. The other car was totalled. My car was worth $4,200 and I owed $9,000 leaving about $4,800 of inequity and I did not have gap insurance. The other car's value was around $15,000 and my insurance policy only covers $10,000. I am a pizza delivery driver for a franchise of a major chain of stores and was delivering pizza at the time. I had not yet notified my insurance company that I was using this car for work purposes. Nobody was hurt in the accident.

My insurance company will not pay for my car or the other guy's car since I had not notified them that I was using my car for work (I didn't know I had to). My employer's insurance company will pay for the other guy's car but not mine.

What should I do? Is my employer responsible for paying for the value of my car to the lienholder (bank)? Since my insurance company didn't determine that they would pay nothing until 8 days later (after the lienholder was notified of the total loss), do I have to pay the full amount of the loan immediately ($9,000)?

Thanks for any advice or help that anyone can give me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">