• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident/need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

famousstar714

What is the name of your state?CA

I purchased a new truck three months ago and allowed my girlfriends 18 year old son to drive the car full-time. He loaned the truck to his 17 year old friend without my permission and the kid spun-out and hit a tree in the rain (no witnesses). The damages total approximately $8,500.00. The 17 year old doesn't have auto insurance and his parents don't want to pay for my deductible, rental car or premium increase. I can't say my girlfriend or her son were driving because the vehicle was originally under her policy with her son as an authorized driver but because the premium was so high (2,400 per year) I put the vehicle on my policy without listing her or her son as a driver. However, my girlfriend and I have the same insurance company and I'm worried they will connect us through the vehicle and not cover the cost of damages (fraud). Should I say I was driving and learn from the experience or should I say the 17 year old was driving? I am covered for collision, but only if the 17 year old say's I loaned him the vehicle and not my girlfriends son. Also, If the 17 year old agrees to say I gave him permission to drive, what will be the legal repercussions for his parents? After all, he is a minor.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

famousstar714 said:
What is the name of your state?CA

I purchased a new truck three months ago and allowed my girlfriends 18 year old son to drive the car full-time. He loaned the truck to his 17 year old friend without my permission and the kid spun-out and hit a tree in the rain (no witnesses). The damages total approximately $8,500.00. The 17 year old doesn't have auto insurance and his parents don't want to pay for my deductible, rental car or premium increase. I can't say my girlfriend or her son were driving because the vehicle was originally under her policy with her son as an authorized driver but because the premium was so high (2,400 per year) I put the vehicle on my policy without listing her or her son as a driver. However, my girlfriend and I have the same insurance company and I'm worried they will connect us through the vehicle and not cover the cost of damages (fraud). Should I say I was driving and learn from the experience or should I say the 17 year old was driving? I am covered for collision, but only if the 17 year old say's I loaned him the vehicle and not my girlfriends son.
**A: tell the truth and face the truth and consequences.

Lynx 36

Your insurance company is more than likely going to deny your claim no matter which kid was driving your vehicle as neither was on your policy and the one kid was driving your truck full time.

If you are caught lying you are looking at possibly doing federal time in a prison, as well as the claim being put into the database by your insurance company. This database is accessable by all the other insurance companies and you will probably have a hard time finding someone to insure you in the future.

My recomendation is you tell the truth about what happened. Your insurance company will probably find out who was really driving eventually. There are always witnesses that come out of the woodwork on these things. Tow truck driver, people living nearby, businesses in the area, even the owner of the tree, etc.

Was there a police report?

Check to see if your policy excludes coverage for people not named as drivers. There are only a few who do this, but you'll want to check. Most policies cover any driver, provided they are not specifically listed on the declaration page as excluded. If someone else was driving, your carrier may pay the claim, less your deductible, then go after the actual driver for reimbursement.

Don't lie. Lynx is right, the truth will come out. Don't you watch CSI?

The 17yr old driver has no obligation to pay for your increased premium. Make the 18yr old kinda-step-son pay for it as penance for letting someone drive a brand new truck that doesn't belong to him. On the other hand, it's not his fault you and his mother chose to improperly insure the truck. It's costing you possibly $8500 to save your girlfriend $2400. Consider yourself lucky no one was injured.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">