• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident - no insurance & at fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tm1206

What is the name of your state? KS

The other car's insurance company is seeking $4,500 from me for damages to their car. No one was injured, I was at fault and didn't have insurance. I offered to pay that insurance company a third, $1,500, of this amount and they said they would settle for $2,000 and I'm suppose to pay by the end of this month or they would file a lawsuit against me. I was issued a ticket at the scene and already paid it.

I have been a lowly hourly-wage worker all my life but I haven't had a job for several months now and just started a holiday job working at the mall. It's only part-time, only enouth to pay for rent and bills for this month. I can't ask for more hours since they set the number of hours everyone works and they only have so many hours. I do have $2,000 in the bank because they say to have 6-12 months saved up. This is so much money for me that I've worked so hard to save up. Could I do some sort of asset protection now or would this be considered "fraudulent transfer"? Or should I file for bankruptcy? The thing is they came down to $2,000 or otherwise I said I would have to file for bankruptcy if it was much higher.

Last edited:

tm1206

Also, what if I file for bankruptcy, can they have my license suspended or put this on my credit report (although they don't have my social security no.) or try to get a collection agency to go after me?

Have you talked to the ins. co. and offer to pay so much down than you make monthy payments on the balance. Some of the ins. comapany will work with you. Why would you claim bankruptcy on such a small amount anyway? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">